20th Street #1, Irondale, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

20th Street #1, Irondale, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:10 pm

*originally recorded on 3-22-19*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of RRSC 12x20 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs and a Safetran mechanical bell.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of RRSC 12x20 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs.

Despite getting stopped by an NS Intermodal Train on my way here, I still arrived with a few minutes to spare. Unfortunately, I had to cut the chase off here due to popping a tire in my haste to park my car. While that was fixed rather quickly (once USAA arrived to help me fix it), I tried to beat it up to Odenville only to miss it by about 5 minutes. Oh well, there's always next week!

This crossing here was another one I had wanted to record, for kinda obvious reasons. The US&S signals here were originally installed by the SAL, and have gotten various upgrades over the years. It appears that in the 1980s, the Seaboard System replaced the original US&S Teardrop bell here with the current Safetran mechanical bell (one of only three crossings along the ATN to retain a Safetran mechanical bell, as far as I'm aware), likely replacing the original crossbucks at around the same time (which I know were replaced prior to 2008, according to Google Street View). The original US&S 8 inch lights were replaced a few years ago (in 2014 or 2015, IIRC), with the current RRSC light heads. It appears that around this same time, the Safetran mechanical bell on the far signal got repainted black (it was originally silver).
Despite all of these various upgrades to the signals over the years, the classic SAL US&S "micro-cantilever" has remained in service, being one of only two US&S signals of this style left in service here in Alabama, as far as I'm aware. AFAIK, this is also the only crossing in Alabama with Alstom light-heads in use at it. The GS Type 1 at 2nd Avenue can also be heard before this crossing starts.

20th Street #2 (or at least the grade for the crossing) can kinda be seen in the background, and is a popular spot for railfans, due to being right at the south end of the NS Norris Yard. In fact, Irondale even put a railfan platform next to the tracks there, and when I drove by it earlier today, I saw a ton of railfans out there watching trains and enjoying the nice weather that there was yesterday.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/G-Q/Irondale/20/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Re: 20th Street #1, Irondale, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:08 am

No changes as of 10-10-19, when I recorded the side with the Safetran bell:

Also, after seeing some recent photos of newer crossing signals and doing some thinking, I've come to a conclusion about these light-heads. I believe these weren't ever made by Alstom, but rather Rebel Railway Supply Co. (RRSC), given that the fact that light-heads of this style are the only places I've ever found RRSC LEDs, and that I've also seen a photo of a new crossing signal which featured these lights mounted on a junction box branded with RRSC. It would certainly explain how brand new light-heads of this style managed to keep showing up, even after Alstom removed all of the crossing equipment from their site. As such, I'll probably see about getting all of my descriptions featuring these light-heads updated.

ZachL

Post by ZachL » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:41 pm

I always love those style cantilevers! Hopefully it lasts a long life especially with the LEDs on it
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:38 pm

ZachL wrote:
Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:41 pm
I always love those style cantilevers! Hopefully it lasts a long life especially with the LEDs on it
Hopefully, especially considering the fact that the ATN replaced the old SAL signal over in Odenville recently. :Curse1: