Jordan Avenue, Cowarts, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, PaulSP

freebrickproductions

Jordan Avenue, Cowarts, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:24 am

*originally recorded on 7-31-19*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of WRRS 8 inch lights, 2 pairs of RACO 12x20 inch lights, a Safetran Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of WRRS 8 inch lights, 2 pairs of RACO 12x20 inch lights, a weak-sounding WRRS mechanical bell, a GRS/WRRS gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.

This was the second to last crossing I caught A724 at, and like all of the other crossings in Cowarts, this was also a high-priority crossing for me. The crossing is a pair of earlier SCL cantilevers, from the looks of things, and are still largely original.
It appears that the original WRRS/GRS gate mech on the far side died pretty early on, being replaced with the current Safetran gate mech in the 70s (if I had to guess, based on the design of the case). Then, between 2008 and 2009, the WRRS mechanical bell on the far signal also died and was replaced. However, in the years since, no other major changes have occured here at all!
One of the more notable things about this crossing has to be the overhead lights, as, as far as I'm aware, this is the only crossing in the state with two full sets of them anymore, and they're completely incandescent! In fact, this entire crossing is completely incandescent, a rarity to see on CSX lines these days! I'm very glad to have gotten this crossing recorded, especially with the equipment present here! Unfortunately, the remaining WRRS bell here sounds rather weak, so hopefully CSX gives it some TLC instead of replacing it.
This crossing is also on the very western edge of Cowarts, with the Dothan City Limits being a little under 650 feet west of here.
There should be a legal limit as to how humid it can be on any given day during the summer here in the South...

Send me or any other admin a private message or email if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!