Headland Avenue, Dothan, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Headland Avenue, Dothan, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Sep 07, 2019 1:01 am

*originally recorded on 8-1-19*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, an NEG electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 1.5 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with WCH 2nd Generation LEDs, 1 Safetran 12x24 inch light with a Dialight Low Wattage LED, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After getting CSX A724 in Cowarts, I chased them over to the seventh and final crossing of the day, where we catch them entering the Dothan Yard to tie down for a while. I would've tried to chase them north, but I found out that by the time the new crew would've gotten on and finished switching, the sun would most likely already be starting to set, so I decided to end my chase here.

This crossing is another pretty alright one. Like 6th Avenue in Ashford, this crossing is another early 2010s install that is still mostly original. However, as you can easily see, the original Safetran Type 3 e-bell was replaced sometime between 2013 and 2017, according to Google Street View. Also, at some point since installation, but before my visit here in 2018, the right-hand LED on the closer signal was replaced, likely due to the original WCH 2nd Gen LED dying. Certainly makes for an interesting look to this signal.
The 2 Tracks signs here, like most X Tracks signs on crossings of this age on the CSX, have faded completely white, and I'm kind of surprised that CSX hasn't ever replaced them yet. Back in 2018, they were still kinda legible, but it's obvious they've needed replacing for a few years now.
Just to the east of this crossing is one of the two depots in Dothan (with the other one being on the old CofG line in town), which I was trying to get shots of the train passing as the crossing activated. Immediately to the northwest of the crossing is, of course, the south end of the Dothan Yard.
Also, it's worth noting that these signals were also installed to replace a pair of crossbucks.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.