AL 223, near Banks, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

AL 223, near Banks, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:23 pm

*originally recorded on 8-2-19*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell.
Signal on the right: 3 pairs of Federal Signal 8 inch lights and a WCH mechanical bell.

Not wanting to end off my trip with some modern CSX signals, I decided to chase G410 farther, even with the lessening sunlight, and was able to beat him to Banks, where he came on through just as the sunlight was leaving from the sky. I also used my van's headlights to help illuminate the crossing, as you can see in the video.

This crossing is a very nice one, featuring a pair of older signals that have had a few changes to them over the years. It appears that originally, the crossing had a pair of older Federal Signal SCL signals installed at it in the 1970s. The crossing appears to have remained largely unchanged, until the 1990s when the bell on the right-hand signal was replaced with the current WCH bell. Then, in the early 2000s, the left-hand signal had the lights and bell upgraded, which I'm guessing might've been due to a car striking the far signal. Then, most recently, the base on the far signal appears to have been replaced (for some reason), though the mast appears to have remained original.
The crossing is probably one of my favorites along the Dothan Sub, even if it isn't as interesting as some of the other ones that I documented. The lights on the right-hand signal are very nicely faded (even if it isn't as visible in this video) and both bells sound quite nice together, so I'm quite glad to have been able to record this crossing.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.