US 43/AL 171, Winfield, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

US 43/AL 171, Winfield, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:55 am

*originally recorded on 9-20-19*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Harmon 12x20 inch lights, a US&S Model 95 gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 3 pairs of Harmon 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a US&S Model 95 gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

This was the last crossing I caught a train at on this trip, and like most of the other ones, it's a pretty nice one. This crossing appears to have originally had a pair of old Frisco signals from Transport Products Corp. However, not long after the BN took over in 1980, the cantilever signals were replaced with the current Harmon cantilevers and a WCH mechanical bell was installed. Then, in the early 2000s, BNSF replaced the gate mast on the left and the gate mechanism on the right. The WCH mechanical bell was then replaced sometime between 2008 and 2014, likely around the same time that the right-hand cantilever was moved closer to the tracks.
However, the original Transport Products Corp. gate mast on the right was retained throughout all of these changes! Both cantilevers have also retained all of their original lights, which have faded rather nicely over the years. All in all, this was a pretty great crossing to end off on, IMHO.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/R-Z/W ... S43_AL171/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Re: US 43/AL 171, Winfield, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:33 am

*originally recorded on 4-23-24*

Signal on the left: 4 pairs of Harmon 12x24 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs, a WCH Type 4 electronic bell, a US&S Model 95 gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 4 pairs of Harmon 12x24 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs, a WCH Type 4 electronic bell, a US&S Model 95 gate mechanism, RECO LED gate lights, and an NEG LED gate light.

After catching the northbound pipe train, I went on over to this crossing to get the upgrade here documented, and found-out there was a meet between two trains lined at the siding here. As such, I decided to set-up and wait, with the northbound pulling-up just south of the South Winfield control point to wait until the southbound got close while I was waiting. Eventually, the southbound reached the siding, and this northbound intermodal train came rolling into the siding and through this crossing with an ES44C4 leading a Dash-9 and an ES44DC for power.

As you can see, this crossing has seen quite the upgrade since I was last here. It appears that sometime between 2022 and 2023, BNSF replaced the older 80s BN Harmon cantilevers here with the current Harmon ones, with new Harmon 12x24 inch lights (with Dialight Ball LEDs in them), and a pair of WCH Type 4 e-bells. At the same time, they added a pair of rear mast lights to the gate masts on each signal, with these being Safetran 12x24 inch lights with more Dialight Ball LEDs. At some point as well, one of the gate lights here was replaced with an NEG LED gate light. I suspect another will be getting replaced here before too long, as the tip one on the far signal has gone dead.
Unlike several other upgrades along the Birmingham Sub, this one wasn't nearly as comprehensive, as only the cantilevers were replaced with two new pairs of rear mast lights being installed on the existing gate masts. As such, the old TPC gate mast on the far signal still exists, which is rather nice to see. The relay case here was also left untouched.
The WCH e-bells here are also the first ones along the Birmingham Sub. According to TheBCRailfan, it appears that these bells come standard on new Harmon cantilevers from Lindsay Rail, which would certainly explain why these went-up here. I don't entirely mind though, it makes for a nice change from all of the GS e-bells that can be found at quite literally all of the other signalized crossings along this line these days.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/R-Z/W ... S43_AL171/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.