Broadway Avenue (AL 21) #3, Sylacauga, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Broadway Avenue (AL 21) #3, Sylacauga, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:55 am

*originally recorded on 10-10-19*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO gate lights.

After catching NS 187, a work train sitting in Mignon with a GP38-3 for power started doing some switching, so we decided to head on down to this crossing in downtown Sylacauga to try and catch it. However, when it did come down this way, it only wound-up stopping at Newtown Avenue and shoving back into the siding. Thankfully, it was close enough to activate this crossing, so there's that, I suppose.

This crossing features a pair of NS signals from the early 2000s with another rather faded GS Type 2 e-bell (that's also likely an earlier one, based on the design), without any really major changes since it was installed. I had honestly hoped it would be a GS Type 1, but oh well. However, as the bell here rings when the gates rise, I strongly suspect that these signals also replaced a 1980s or early to mid-1990s NS install, with the relay case possibly being left-over from that install.
This crossing is also located right next to the NS diamond with the EARY.

Broadway Avenue has three separate crossings along it, all of which are right next to each other this being the northernmost one and the only signalized one of the three. The other two are immediately south of this one, being a pair of crossbuck crossings that are owned by the EARY. Broadway Avenue (AL 21) #2 is the crossing for the EARY mainline, while the Broadway Avenue (AL 21) #1 crossing is a small connecting track between the NS P Line and the EARY, used by NS to interchange with the EARY. Interestingly enough, you can also typically find the Sylacauga-based NS local's power tied down next to this crossing.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.