25th Street #1, Birmingham, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

25th Street #1, Birmingham, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Feb 11, 2020 12:50 am

*originally recorded on 2-1-20*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights and a General Signals Type 1 electronic bell.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of RACO 8 inch lights.

After catching the NS local freight, I went around the area documenting crossings in this part of Birmingham. While documenting a crossing on the east side of BNSF's East Thomas Yard, I saw a pair of CSX GEVOs running lite out of the yard, back up to CSX's Boyles Yard. As such, I raced on over to this crossing and was just barely able to set-up in time to record it.

This crossing is a very, very nice one. Back in 2008, this crossing still had a pair of old Frisco cantilevers from the 60s, though the original mechanical bell had been replaced with a General Signals electronic bell (I'm guessing a GS Type 1?). Then, between 2011 and 2015, the far cantilever was replaced with a re-used BN signal from the 1990s, though I'm not sure if the bell was re-used from the older cantilever or if it came from another crossing. However, nothing else has really changed at this crossing (thankfully), which is especially nice to see with the closer RACO cantilever. Either way, I'm glad to have finally been able to record this crossing.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/A-F/Birmingham/25/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.