AL 25, Dunnavant, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

AL 25, Dunnavant, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Apr 01, 2020 5:33 pm

*originally recorded on 3-18-20*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights and a Safetran Type 3 electronic bell.
Signal on the right: 1 pair of Safetran 12x20 inch lights and 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights.

After catching the ballast train in Vandiver, I chased him on up the road to Dunnavant. Although AL 25 is quite a winding road over Coosa Mountain, making the route I had to take about 2 miles longer than what the train had to take, I was still easily able to beat it here as the train appears to have had to slow way down for the tunnel through the same mountain. I tried to chase it on up to Leeds, but he stopped for a while before the crossing I had set-up at, so I just eventually went on home as it was getting pretty late.

The signals here are also pretty nice. Like the other two crossings I recorded this train at, this crossing features another pair of old gateless Central of Georgia signals, having originally used all WRRS equipment as well. The first upgrade that appears to have been done to this crossing, however, was the Southern Railway replacing the original cast-iron WRRS 8 inch lights with all Safetran 12 inch lights back in the 1970s. Not sure if they were all 12x24 inch, or if the front lights on the closer signal were indeed originally 12x20 inch, but most of them still remain today. The signals then remained relatively unchanged up until between 2008 and 2009, when the original WRRS mechanical bell here was replaced with a General Signals (Type 2?) electronic bell. Then, between 2009 and 2013, the front-left light on the far signal was replaced with a newer Safetran 12x24 inch light. The most recent change here though was that sometime after 2014, the bell here was replaced once again, this time with a Safetran Type 3 e-bell.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.