Blount Street, Birmingham, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Blount Street, Birmingham, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Nov 17, 2020 4:30 pm

*originally recorded on 11-13-20*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of WCH 12x20 inch lights and a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of WCH 12x20 inch lights.

This was the third and final crossing I chased BNSF H-MEMBIR to, on its way into East Thomas Yard in Birmingham. Certainly nice getting to see another BNSF AC44CW leading, along with getting that horn salute from the engineer.

The crossing itself is also pretty nice, and is easily one of the best along the BNSF Birmingham Sub, IMHO. The signals here are old gateless signals that appear to have been installed by the Frisco, but in the 1980s, the Burlington Northern upgraded all of the lights to the current WCH 12x20s. Then, at some point in the 2000s, BNSF replaced the bell here with the current GS Type 2, but absolutely no changes have been made to these classic-looking signals since then! The crossing is also on a nice quiet street, and, interestingly enough, still retains a wooden grade at it! A few other crossings along this line do as well, but I don't believe I've recorded any of those yet. Either way, it's still quite nice to see one here, and hopefully this crossing remains unchanged for many more years to come.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/A-F/B ... am/Blount/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.