Fort Street, Manchester, TN

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Fort Street, Manchester, TN

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Jan 16, 2021 3:35 am

*originally recorded on 1-5-21*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Harmon 12x20 inch lights and a Modern Industries mechanical bell.

After catching the CFWR in Tullahoma, I missed a northbound CSX coal train and then watched them (the CFWR) switch in Tullahoma for a while before chasing them north. While chasing them north, I stopped in Manchester with the intent of recording at least one crossing, but while waiting at the one I was originally planning on hitting-up, the conductor drove up and told me that that crossing, and one of the ones in downtown Manchester were out of service at the time, so I went on up to this crossing, since the bell was on the sun-lit side. Turns out I chose well, as the train had to stop and wait for the next signalized crossing south to get flagged as well (which is why this crossing also timed-out before the train reached it). Either way though, here we see the train on its journey north to McMinnville.

This crossing is a pretty nice one, featuring what was originally a 1970s L&N install. It appears that, in the 1990s or so, the lights here were upgraded by the CFWR to all be Harmon 12x20 inch lights, and then in the 2000s, the signal on the far side was replaced with a newer one featuring all Safetran 12x24s (I'm guessing the old one was struck). Since then, no major changes have occured here, thankfully, but I guess that's more typical of smaller shortlines like this one. It's also quite nice to see another Modern Industries bell here, as I haven't recorded too many as of late, I've noticed.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.