Potter Road, Wauwatosa, WI

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Potter Road, Wauwatosa, WI

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:41 pm

*originally recorded on 11-16-23*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 8 inch lights with Electro-tech LEDs, a Griswold EM gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 8 inch lights, a dying Griswold mechanical bell, a Griswold EM gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
This crossing is located in a quiet zone. Trains do not blow their horns at this crossing.

After the power move passed through the EMs in St. Francis, the train stopped for a little bit just north of the crossing I'd just recorded them at. As such, I quickly threw my tripod into the car and began racing the train across the Milwaukee area to beat them over to this crossing in Wauwatosa. Thankfully, I was just able to beat the power move with a few minutes to spare. Here we see the power move once again, this time about to be entering the Butler Yard.

This crossing is another great one, featuring another very classic pair of EM signals installed by the C&NW. In the 1970s, the C&NW upgraded the lights here to the current Safetran 8 inch ones, with the only major change after coming when UP upgraded these signals to LED back in the 2000s. Since then, thankfully, no other major changes have occurred to this crossing.
Unfortunately, sometime within the past few years, the Griswold bell here has either started to crack or has cracked, causing it to sound rather bad. It seems it's able to keep a good tempo though, outside of the occasional missed beat, but I'm glad I got to record this crossing with it nonetheless. Hopefully UP gives it some TLC, but I honestly wouldn't be too surprised if it winds-up being replaced with an NEG e-bell at some point. Still a very classic pair of signals here, and I'm quite glad to see they retain another pair of diagonally-striped gate arms as well. Definitely one of the more classic EM installs I've been able to record.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.