SW 6th Avenue, Galva, IL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

SW 6th Avenue, Galva, IL

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:49 pm

*originally recorded on 11-20-23*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Federal Signal 12x20 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs, a WCH gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 1.5 pairs of Federal Signal 12x20 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs, 1 Safetran 12x24 inch light with a Dialight Ball LED, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a WCH gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After catching the two Amtrak trains, I started making my way southwest to get the two remaining bell-only crossings on the Mendota Sub. However, on my way out of Galva, TommyBNSF alerted me to an eastbound loaded coal train that was approaching, and that I likely wouldn't be able to beat it to either of those crossings, so I decided to turn around. As such, we wound-up meeting up again at this crossing and we were able to catch this loaded coal train heading towards Michigan with an SD70ACe leading an executive SD70MAC for power.

This crossing is another great one, featuring a very early WCH install from about 1977 or 1978 by the Burlington Northern, if I had to guess. The signals here feature FS-branded lights and the earliest design of WCH gate mechs. It seems that this crossing remained fairly original up until the 2000s, when BNSF replaced the bell here with the current GS Type 2. Then, in the early-2010s, BNSF upgraded the lights here to LED, along with replacing the left-rear light on the closer signal with the current Safetran 12x24, it seems.
The Mendota Sub used to be filled to the brim with these early WCH installs from the BN, it appears, but in recent years BNSF has been on a replacement spree purging the line of many of these old WCH installs, or at least replacing the gate mechs on the ones they don't rip-out entirely. In fact, according to Tommy, this may very well be the last full pair of these early WCH gate mechs on the entire Mendota Sub. Only time will tell how much longer these early WCH signals will last, but either way, I'm definitely glad I got to record them.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Illinois/A-K/Galva/SW6/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.