Pedestrian Crossing, Oneida, IL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Pedestrian Crossing, Oneida, IL

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Dec 01, 2023 1:56 pm

*originally recorded on 11-20-23*

The lone signal here has a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell.

While waiting for the coal train in Wataga, TommyBNSF alerted me to a second empty coal train running right behind the first, so once that had passed, I quickly raced back over to this crossing to try and get it. Sadly, that coal train just beat me to Oneida, so I had to set-up and wait for the next train. After a little while of waiting, however, I was able to get this eastbound gondola (steel?) train coming through with a CN SD70M-2 leading a pair of CN ES44DCs for power! While I very much would've preferred a westbound here, seeing some more CN power was definitely rather nice.

This crossing is another great one, and is the second of two bell-only crossings remaining on the BNSF Mendota Subdivision. The signal here appears to have been installed by the CB&Q, but, in the late-90s or 2000s, the bell here was replaced with a General Signals e-bell (it's unknown if this was a Type 1 or a Type 2) by BNSF. Then, sometime between 2015 and 2019, BNSF replaced the bell here once again, this time with the current GS Type 3 e-bell. Since then, thankfully, no major changes have occurred to this crossing.
Admittedly, it seems like most of these little pedestrian crossings on the Mendota Sub don't see very much use. However, this one definitely sees some use, as it seems that some people use it to access the nearby school.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Illinois/L-Q/ ... edestrian/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.