Easterwood Street, Cherokee, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Easterwood Street, Cherokee, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Fri Jan 12, 2024 1:29 pm

*originally recorded on 1-4-24*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights with GE Uniform Look LEDs, a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell, a Siemens gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 4 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights with GE Uniform Look LEDs, a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell, a Siemens gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After I caught NS 72Z, I had a feeling there'd be another eastbound train coming through right behind it, as I'd heard something about an NS A83 leaving Corinth right behind 72Z. As such, I made my way over to this crossing and got set-up. Not too long after, this NS A83 came rolling through Cherokee with an SD40E leading an SD40-2 for power!

This crossing is a pretty decent one, though it's definitely a bit on the boring side given that it features a pair of rather modern NS signals at it. The signals here were installed in 2016, replacing a pair of crossbucks. Interestingly, it appears that, back in the 1970s, there was also a pair of 12 inch Singer beacons installed at this crossing, though by the time street view had come through here in the 2000s, both of the beacons were abandoned in place. They were eventually removed entirely by 2014, though the flasher for them hung on here for a good few years longer before being removed as well.
The signals here are basically an exact copy of the ones NS installed over at Alabama Street in Courtland, which were installed at about the same time, save for the 2 Tracks signs here due to the storage track at this crossing. Admittedly, I do think NS should've ordered some slightly taller masts for this crossing, as the 2 Tracks signs are pretty well obscured by the arms the side lights are mounted on.
With this crossing, however, I have now recorded every crossing on the portion of the NS Memphis District West End within Alabama!

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/A-F/C ... asterwood/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.