Well Road, West Monroe, LA

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Well Road, West Monroe, LA

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Feb 28, 2024 11:14 am

*originally recorded on 1-31-24*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Harmon 12x24 inch lights with Harmon Dotted LEDs, 2 pairs of Harmon 12x20 inch lights with Harmon Dotted LEDs, a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and Alstom LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Harmon 12x24 inch lights with Harmon Dotted LEDs, 1 pair of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Harmon Dotted LEDs, 2 pairs of Harmon 12x20 inch lights with Harmon Dotted LEDs, a dead General Signals electronic bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and Alstom LED gate lights.

After catching the westbound mixed freight in Rayville, we hopped back onto I-20 and chased it west to this crossing in West Monroe. Here we found there was a meet lined, as the westbound mixed freight was going to meet at least one eastbound at the siding just east of this crossing. As such, after a little bit of waiting (during which the westbound we chased pulled-up to the end of the siding on the main), we were able to get this eastbound mixed freight rolling through with a KCSM ES44AC leading a CP AC44CWM for power!

This crossing is another great one, still featuring a pair of old ICG cantilever signals from the late-1970s (I believe) at it. In the mid-90s, after taking over the MidSouth Rail Corp., it appears that KCS modernized this crossing, replacing all of the mast lights with the current Harmon 12x24s with Harmon Dotted LEDs, upgrading the overhead lights to LED with the current Harmon Dotted LEDs, and replacing both bell here with GS e-bells. Then, sometime between 2008 and 2009, a few more changes here happened. First, it appears that the bell on the far signal was replaced with a Safetran Type 2 e-bell. During this same time-frame, however, a spur track was added here to a new transload facility next to the cement plant by this crossing. As a result of this, the closer signal was moved over to make room for this new track. As a result of this move, KCS reused a pair of mid-90s Safetran 12x24s with Harmon Dotted LEDs and installed them as side lights on the closer signal, to help protect the driveways of the transload facility and the cement plant here. Finally, sometime between 2016 and 2018, it seems the Safetran Type 2 e-bell on the far signal must've died, and it was replaced with the current GS Type 3 e-bell as a result. Thankfully, since then, no further changes have occurred to this crossing.
I'm glad to see these classic Harmon cantilevers from the ICG are still around here, especially since they still retain their original overhead light heads. Most of the Harmon Dotted LEDs here are the rare early ones as well, which are great to see, with the pair of Safetran lights here having the only newer ones. It's a shame that the bell on the closer signal here is dead as well, especially since I'm 99% certain it would've been a GS Type 1. Either way, this is still a great crossing and I'm glad I got to record it.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.