AL 129, Glen Allen, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

AL 129, Glen Allen, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:39 am

*originally recorded on 4-23-24*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs and a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs and a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell.

After I shot the northbound intermodal train, the southbound was getting lined down the main so I grabbed my stuff and made a beeline for this crossing in Glen Allen. After a few minutes of waiting here, this southbound intermodal train came rolling through with a pair of ES44C4s leading an ES44AC for power.

This crossing is a pretty decent one. Originally, there was a pair of old gateless RACO signals here installed by the Frisco back in the 1960s. In the mid-90s, BN replaced all of the lights here with some Safetran 12x20s. Then, sometime between 2008 and 2013, the original RACO mechanical bell here was sadly replaced with a GS e-bell of some kind, I suspect a Type 2. The crossing then remained largely unchanged for several more years, until 2021, when BNSF upgraded this crossing to its current signals. Since then, no major changes appear to have occurred here.
I do kinda wish I could've recorded the old signals here, but oh well. The current signals are still fairly decent, being a modern gateless install.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/G-Q/Glen_Allen/AL129/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.