Good train horns.

Can't have signals without railroads, so talk about your favorite locomotives, railroads and any other (non signal) railroad related stuff.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

MD2020

Re: Good train horns.

Post by MD2020 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 3:51 am

Your commentary there is irrelevant to the particular issue at hand that I addressed. In the video presented, the person clearly not only trespassed, but they also performed an additional unsafe and illegal act by placing an object within the gage of the rails. This has nothing to do with photographing trains from a platform or a corn field.
Just the facts, ma'am.
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Wed Sep 21, 2011 8:25 pm

I never found those videos fun. The reason for me why I don't place camcorders between rails IMO, is so that the wind created from the high speeds doesn't move the camera to the point to where it could be run over. I've seen some cameras move, and I would hate to see a flattened camcorder after the train passed.

You'll never find me making a video like that when I get around to taking videos again.
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:26 pm

I have to agree on this topic. I enjoy watching video's of a train, but you certainly don't get to see much from the bottom of it except a whole heck of a lot of dirt.

While the camera is obviously not going to cause damage to the train, the person placing the camera is trespassing to put it there. Plus, what if they get in a hurry because the train is approaching... trip and fall... and put themselves in harm's way? It's just not worth it.

Stay on public property and put the camera on a tripod.
Caltrain927

Post by Caltrain927 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 12:32 pm

Found 3 BNSF GEVO's with P series horns,
5819 with a P3

5895 with a P3

5927 with a P5
wilek209

Post by wilek209 » Sun May 13, 2012 8:31 pm

The MBTA F40PH locomotives usually have pretty good-sounding K5LA horns...

Most of the trains passing through my area are MBTA commuter trains powered by F40PH locomotives. The cab cars also come with K5LAs, but usually they don't sound as good as the ones on the engines. Sometimes the trains use the older GP40MC locomotives, and those also have K5LAs on them. They sound just as good as the ones on the F40PHs. They also now have a couple of new MP36 diesel locomotives. I heard the have K5LA horns on them too, but they sound a bit different from the F40PHs. I haven't seen the MP36s used on the Middleboro/Lakeville line yet, I think they are used more frequently on the North Side, which has more older engines (I live on the South Side, where F40PHs and bi-level cars are more commonly used.)

Some of the train horn recordings I've heard in sound effect libraries also usually sound pretty good. The train horn sounds here are pretty good (the train sounds in this were taken from the Sound Ideas Series 1000 sound effects library, which was recorded in the late 1970s and early 1980s; I have worked with this sound library numerous times in high school and college.)

(Hmm, I should do a separate thread about this rail safety cartoon!)
Last edited by wilek209 on Thu May 31, 2012 9:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MD2020

Post by MD2020 » Mon May 14, 2012 6:26 pm

Too bad they didn't research Railroad crossing safety enough to know the gate arm in the cartoon was upside down...
Just the facts, ma'am.
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Mon May 14, 2012 6:45 pm

MD2020 wrote:Too bad they didn't research Railroad crossing safety enough to know the gate arm in the cartoon was upside down...
My question is, how on earth did a bird and a fox became friends :Laugh:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight