BNSF Lynden Branch in Jeopardy

Can't have signals without railroads, so talk about your favorite locomotives, railroads and any other (non signal) railroad related stuff.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

LARDLOGO

BNSF Lynden Branch in Jeopardy

Post by LARDLOGO » Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:01 pm

The BNSF Lynden Branch is going under some serious times.

First off, the south end of the line is always going to be used. It's basically an industrial lead that services four industries. EPL Feed (Farm Supplies), Desticon (Rabanco/ Republic garbage), Teal Jones (Lumber) and IKO Pacific (Shingles.) The line south of the Halverstick Road crossing is often used for temporary car storage.

The line ends in the city of Lynden where there are currently two industries. Martin's Feed (Cotton Seed and Fertilizer delivered from EPL in Sumas) and VersaCold/ AmeriCold (Frozen berries.)

Not too long ago, Martin's Feed announced that they were moving operations to Sumas. A new industry has been built and it began getting railcars last friday. According to sources, Martin's Feed has stated that they will continue operating out of Lynden for the rest of the year and Versa/Ameri Cold is committed to service until their contract expires. Versacold will be the last industry left on the line if this happens, and if they cancel, the line from Clearbrook to Lynden could go kaput.

Went by Martin's Feed and they had a string of boxcars and a couple of hoppers. Americold had one Cryo-Trans reefer. I'll keep you updated on the future of the line.
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
freebrickproductions

Re: BNSF Lynden Branch in Jeopardy

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:48 am

In terms of branch lines on the edge, there are a few in my area:
  • The NS Champion Paper Branch, which has only one customer left along the line after the main customer (International Paper) shut-down a few years back.
  • The unnamed NS branch in Scottsboro, which only has one customer left along it out of at least three.
  • The CSX branch line in Bridgeport, which used to serve an industry and a coal plant that had the coal plant shut down.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Thu Feb 01, 2018 10:17 pm

UPDATE:

One month into 2018, and things aren't looking too good. The Martin's Feed transload in Sumas is nearing completion and it is now getting fertilizer hoppers on a weekly basis. The Martin's Feed location in Lynden has three more loads of cotton seed that will be shipped out on rail, and that will be it.

VersaCold says that they are at the moment still relying on rail service, but for how long? I'm certain that they're going to switch to trucks very soon leaving the line vacant.

I did get the train heading to Lynden today. He had three hoppers for MF and two reefers for VC. I'll try chasing him again next week.
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Thu May 24, 2018 11:39 pm

*BUMP*

Martin's Feed in Lynden is no longer receiving boxcars/ hoppers. All of the rail service has been relocated to Sumas.

According to a BNSF employee in the area, the line will not be abandoned because the BNSF still has a contract with Americold. On that subject, they just brought in a reefer to the aforementioned location this past week. Americold only receives rail shipments on an as needed basis, however. With this, the train count goes from "Total Weekly Trains: 1" to "Total Daily Trains: 0."

The Sumas side of the branchline is still being used, however. There are four industries in Sumas on the Lynden Branch. EPL Feed has a fertilizer elevator and also produces cotton seed. Timber Forest Products ships out lumber by rail from the nearby Teal Jones Lumber Mill. Desticon Transportation has an intermodal center which gets deliveries and pickups of Rabanco (trash) containers. IKO Pacific gets tar tankers to produce shingles with some of them occasionally being shipped out on rail. The new Martin's Feed location is on the Sumas Subdivision with the spur being a former side track.

I'll try to get more updates soon, however. I'll be heading out to Sumas tomorrow.
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:23 am

*BUMP/ RETURN TO FORUM*

As of September 2019, no rail deliveries have been made to Americold in Lynden. The rails have completely rusted and brush is beginning to grow over the bedding. The relay case at Badger Road still has power running to it though. The section of track past Halverstick Road in Sumas is still in use to hold consists for the Sumas Turn.

Business usually picks up around March, so hopefully this dormant period ends soon.