BREAKING NEWS!! Major Amtrak Derailment in Washington!

Can't have signals without railroads, so talk about your favorite locomotives, railroads and any other (non signal) railroad related stuff.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Swedish Crossings

BREAKING NEWS!! Major Amtrak Derailment in Washington!

Post by Swedish Crossings » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:47 am

Got a news notification that an Amtrak Cascades train has derailed over Interstate 5 in Olympia, Washington! Hope that everyone is okay! :Awww: :Awww:

Link:
"Trains are the way to travel"
LARDLOGO

Re: BREAKING NEWS!! Major Amtrak Derailment in Washington!

Post by LARDLOGO » Mon Dec 18, 2017 2:15 pm

Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
Swedish Crossings

Post by Swedish Crossings » Mon Dec 18, 2017 3:14 pm

As of now they have confirmed 6 people dead :Cry1: :Cry1: :Awww:
"Trains are the way to travel"
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:30 pm

It is obviously too early to speculate on what happened... but I read one report that said the train was doing 81 MPH when it hit that curve. Max track speed is supposed to be 79. There is another report saying the train hit something on the track.

Thoughts & prayers to the people affected by this incident. A shame for something like this to happen so close to the Holidays.
TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:42 pm

Shortly after I woke up this morning, my Dad told me about this on the phone. But having seen this thread a few minutes earlier, I told him that I was aware of what was going on.

Still, pretty sad that this happened. :Cry1:
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:11 pm

cabman701 wrote:but I read one report that said the train was doing 81 MPH when it hit that curve. Max track speed is supposed to be 79.
From photos I've seen, the speed limit was 30 MPH.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:27 pm

My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families. :Sad:

It wasn't until I heard on the news that this was the inaugural Amtrak train for this line. It makes me wonder if BNSF didn't properly prepare for this service and if the tracks weren't in the best shape.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
Erik-Gorb-Hamilton

Post by Erik-Gorb-Hamilton » Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:10 pm

ZachL wrote:My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families. :Sad:

It wasn't until I heard on the news that this was the inaugural Amtrak train for this line. It makes me wonder if BNSF didn't properly prepare for this service and if the tracks weren't in the best shape.
BNSF doesn't own the line anymore. Sound Transit owns all this section now. The tracks were all rebuilt to Class 4 Standard. Very scary for me. Wasn't on the train but I was the very last paying customer to use the old Tacoma Station last night at 10:00PM. Worst wreck I have seen in all my 19 years here :Scared:
Continuing my
Grandfathers
Legacy

CEO of the Stratford Gap Railway
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:01 pm

This derailment looks just like the Sunset Limited crash in the early 90's. This one really hits home because I just saw that exact lead engine leading Amtrak 513 in Blaine two weeks ago.

I passed by DuPont in 2015 on the way to a high school playoff game in Montesano. At the time, the tracks were jointed rail and covered in brush. Looking at street view on some of the crossings, they replaced the old tracks. IIRC, this was an old industrial lead.

Looking at satellite view, I think that the curve is too sharp. I believe that the train was going so fast that it tipped over. They should've had the line curve the opposite direction and connect to the nearby line instead of swerving to go across the freeway.

Still, praying for everyone involved to be blessed.
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:03 pm

Erik-Gorb-Hamilton wrote:
ZachL wrote:My thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families. :Sad:

BNSF doesn't own the line anymore. Sound Transit owns all this section now. The tracks were all rebuilt to Class 4 Standard. Very scary for me. Wasn't on the train but I was the very last paying customer to use the old Tacoma Station last night at 10:00PM. Worst wreck I have seen in all my 19 years here :Scared:
Wasn't that the Freighthouse Square station that shut down?