Orlando, Florida to become a no train horn zone.

Can't have signals without railroads, so talk about your favorite locomotives, railroads and any other (non signal) railroad related stuff.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Re: Orlando, Florida to become a no train horn zone.

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Feb 05, 2018 3:32 am

NathanFromEngland wrote:
ZachL wrote:
NathanFromEngland wrote:
ZachL wrote:Sigh... it's called a "quiet zone" but I guess I should expect less from the filmer showcased. :Roll:

I'm indifferent on quiet zones. As a business owner, I would find the horns disruptive especially if the building I am in does not have the proper acoustics. However, train horns are a necessity in today's world because motorists and pedestrians alike seriously cannot take railroad crossing safety for granted at all. :glare:
I never knew you owned a business.
I....don't.
But in your post you said "As a business owner"
He was being hypothetical. For example, if most people say "As President of the United States, I would...", that doesn't literally mean they are the President of the United States (unless they are, in which case they may be running for re-election), they're just imagining themselves in a position and how they'd react to something.
NathanFromEngland wrote:How many quad gates are being installed? If its the entire SunRail network then they're ruining the fun, and maybe Daniel Andrews will come along and remove some crossings? :TDOWN:
It's not really about fun for us railfans, but about considering the community as a whole (which is part of the reason why I don't mind quiet zones). For example, as much as it may just be easy to dismiss people who live next to a rail line with "If you don't like the train horns, then don't by a house by the tracks!", but it doesn't really take into consideration the fact that house hunting is a long and difficult process for many people, that often requires a lot of compromise. I'm pretty sure that everyone living by crossings that complain about train horns would love to have a different house, but for them, that concern was secondary to other concerns, such as school district, cost, size, commute, proximity to shopping/parks/other amenities, etc.

Besides, there are probably plenty of active freight lines you can always hit-up in the Orlando area that aren't going to be quiet zones.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Mon Feb 05, 2018 10:46 am

freebrickproductions wrote:
NathanFromEngland wrote:
ZachL wrote:
NathanFromEngland wrote:
ZachL wrote:Sigh... it's called a "quiet zone" but I guess I should expect less from the filmer showcased. :Roll:

I'm indifferent on quiet zones. As a business owner, I would find the horns disruptive especially if the building I am in does not have the proper acoustics. However, train horns are a necessity in today's world because motorists and pedestrians alike seriously cannot take railroad crossing safety for granted at all. :glare:
I never knew you owned a business.
I....don't.
But in your post you said "As a business owner"
He was being hypothetical. For example, if most people say "As President of the United States, I would...", that doesn't literally mean they are the President of the United States (unless they are, in which case they may be running for re-election), they're just imagining themselves in a position and how they'd react to something.
NathanFromEngland wrote:How many quad gates are being installed? If its the entire SunRail network then they're ruining the fun, and maybe Daniel Andrews will come along and remove some crossings? :TDOWN:
It's not really about fun for us railfans, but about considering the community as a whole (which is part of the reason why I don't mind quiet zones). For example, as much as it may just be easy to dismiss people who live next to a rail line with "If you don't like the train horns, then don't by a house by the tracks!", but it doesn't really take into consideration the fact that house hunting is a long and difficult process for many people, that often requires a lot of compromise. I'm pretty sure that everyone living by crossings that complain about train horns would love to have a different house, but for them, that concern was secondary to other concerns, such as school district, cost, size, commute, proximity to shopping/parks/other amenities, etc.

Besides, there are probably plenty of active freight lines you can always hit-up in the Orlando area that aren't going to be quiet zones.
CSX Taft Yard is one.
Its also worth pointing out about when this apartment block was constructed in 2007.
https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@28.54030 ... 1664?hl=en
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:13 am

Seems like SunRail are getting into the Pedestrian Gates Business
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Sorry for unessecary topic bump.

Phase II of SunRail starts on Monday, but i noticed that the Sand Lake Road station and some of the new stations are near CSX's Taft Yard?

So how is this gonna work, does CSX move operations, or stay in the same place and let the SunRail pass through?

Or, are the trains diverted to avoid Taft Yard?
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Sat Jul 28, 2018 8:41 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:Sorry for unessecary topic bump.

Phase II of SunRail starts on Monday, but i noticed that the Sand Lake Road station and some of the new stations are near CSX's Taft Yard?

So how is this gonna work, does CSX move operations, or stay in the same place and let the SunRail pass through?

Or, are the trains diverted to avoid Taft Yard?
FDOT owns the line. CSX has trackage rights. It will work in the same way that Amtrak does, where the owner gets priority.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:45 pm

Sorry for the topic bump, but i was watching a video, and i spotted probably one of the most useless crossing installations. (9:26)

They are LEGIT, installing a PEDESTRIAL GATE, when the sidewalk ends. The gated signal on the right has had its base extended for some unknown reason, and the NEG E-Bell can be heard but it is nowhere to be found.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:47 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:the NEG E-Bell can be heard but it is nowhere to be found.
Because that's not an NEG E-Bell?
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
Steven429

Post by Steven429 » Sat Feb 16, 2019 2:22 pm

If you want a night time quiet zone, or if your near a hospital then that's fine IMO. If not, then I thinks its unnecessary.
UnionPacific4Life

Post by UnionPacific4Life » Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:38 am

I hate it when someone builds apartment buildings next to the railroad and then applies for a QZ.

It sucks.
Proud owner of a Safetran 3rd Gen M-Bell, a GS Type 2 bell, a dead GS type 1 bell, a WRRS M-bell, and a US&S H-2 searchlight signal.
Why does everyone copy my signature?

OG signal collection signature, I think. :LOL2:
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:31 am

UnionPacific4Life wrote:
Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:38 am
I hate it when someone builds apartment buildings next to the railroad and then applies for a QZ.

It sucks.
Only so much land in a city...
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.