Why are hoppers put on the front of crude oil train's?

Can't have signals without railroads, so talk about your favorite locomotives, railroads and any other (non signal) railroad related stuff.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

NathanFromEngland

Why are hoppers put on the front of crude oil train's?

Post by NathanFromEngland » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:17 pm

It always makes me wonder why they do that, sometimes they don't. But why do they do it, is it to prevent damage to the front crude oil car?
freebrickproductions

Re: Why are hoppers put on the front of crude oil train's?

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Mar 03, 2018 8:53 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:It always makes me wonder why they do that, sometimes they don't. But why do they do it, is it to prevent damage to the front crude oil car?
It's a buffer car, and they almost always do it (haven't seen any where they haven't done it). It's so if the engines were to derail or one of the engines were to catch fire, it (in theory) would make it less likely for the tank cars being pulled (both loaded and "empty") to explode.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Wed Mar 07, 2018 9:07 pm

We don't need a repeat of Lac-Mégantic.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Thu Mar 15, 2018 8:24 pm

Buffer cars have been required on flammable materials trains (also see them on ethanol as well as crude) since before Lac-Mégantic. They're theoretically to protect the crew in the event of a fire/explosion, but I'm dubious as to how much good they'd do. Somehow I don't think one hopper would have helped anyone in the cab at the time of Lac-Mégantic, although of course if there had been someone in the cab it wouldn't have happened in the first place.