Class I Engine Retirements

Can't have signals without railroads, so talk about your favorite locomotives, railroads and any other (non signal) railroad related stuff.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Ethan the Railfanner

Class I Engine Retirements

Post by Ethan the Railfanner » Sat Apr 14, 2018 7:46 am

I'm hearing that CSX is getting rid of all of their C40-8Ws according to CSX Locomotives on Facebook. They have already retired all of their Ex-Conrail C40-8Ws, and within the next few months, all of them are going to be gone. It will be a sad day when all of them are gone, because once they get rid of all of them, they will be gone for good. Many of them are retired to the GE, and many railfanners have seen the Ex-CSX C40-8Ws.

R.I.P CSX C40-8Ws. :Sad:
Ethan the Railfanner; The main railroad crossing photographer of Southeast United States.

If you have any crossing photos that you would like for submissions:
DM me on the forum
DM me on Discord (ethantherailfanner)
NathanFromEngland

Re: CSX C40-8Ws to be retired

Post by NathanFromEngland » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:09 am

Ethan the Railfanner wrote:I'm hearing that CSX is getting rid of all of their C40-8Ws according to CSX Locomotives on Facebook. They have already retired all of their Ex-Conrail C40-8Ws, and within the next few months, all of them are going to be gone. It will be a sad day when all of them are gone, because once they get rid of all of them, they will be gone for good. Many of them are retired to the GE, and many railfanners have seen the Ex-CSX C40-8Ws.

R.I.P CSX C40-8Ws. :Sad:
GECX.
We take locomotives, and do nothing with them.
So i do guess the great Hunter Harrison's plan did go along then.
Here is one of them i caught on the Durand, Michigan camera.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Sat Apr 14, 2018 8:41 am

Well, those things are pretty old (20+ years) and with GE leaving the business as well it could be a deciding factor.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Apr 14, 2018 9:38 am

Also, according to a tweet on CSX's Twitter back on March 1st, CSX plans to have only 2,370 to 2,420 active engines on their roster by 2020:

Having done the math myself using an unofficial (but probably reliable, as a link to it was shared with me by a friend who currently works for CSX) roster, I'm willing to bet that all of CSX's engines that aren't any of the following will be retired, as the combined total of these engines is roughly in or around the range that CSX wants:
GEVOs (ES40DC, ES44AH, ET44AH)
GP38s
GP40s
Road Slugs
Switchers
(Maybe) GP15Ts

Though I had heard rumors that CSX was getting some Tier-4 SD70ACes more recently, so CSX might have some of those on their roster by then.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
TheAlatreus

Post by TheAlatreus » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:12 am

I was sad to hear about these CSX C40-8Ws retired. I used to see photos of these units on railroad locomotive pictures such as RRPictureArchives. I know they got sent to GECX, but what I found out on NSDash9, is that NS are leasing former CSX locomotives. See the link: http://www.nsdash9.com/leased.html, and on NSDash9's Facebook page is their post on 3/28/18 at 8:11 PM, showing a EX-CSX unit.
Southern California is known for it's sunny weather, the beaches, and even attractions! Gotta Go Fast! - Sonic The Hedgehog. Favorite place - Hollywood
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Apr 15, 2018 2:11 am

TheAlatreus wrote:I was sad to hear about these CSX C40-8Ws retired. I used to see photos of these units on railroad locomotive pictures such as RRPictureArchives. I know they got sent to GECX, but what I found out on NSDash9, is that NS are leasing former CSX locomotives. See the link: http://www.nsdash9.com/leased.html, and on NSDash9's Facebook page is their post on 3/28/18 at 8:11 PM, showing a EX-CSX unit.
CSX still has a few of their Dash-8s left, but not many and their numbers are dwindling. Want to say CN is also leasing some of the former CSX Dash-8s.

NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Sun Apr 15, 2018 8:10 am

freebrickproductions wrote:
TheAlatreus wrote:I was sad to hear about these CSX C40-8Ws retired. I used to see photos of these units on railroad locomotive pictures such as RRPictureArchives. I know they got sent to GECX, but what I found out on NSDash9, is that NS are leasing former CSX locomotives. See the link: http://www.nsdash9.com/leased.html, and on NSDash9's Facebook page is their post on 3/28/18 at 8:11 PM, showing a EX-CSX unit.
CSX still has a few of their Dash-8s left, but not many and their numbers are dwindling. Want to say CN is also leasing some of the former CSX Dash-8s.
7332 (Seaboard System logo, was retired too) Waste of money repainting it into YN3B though.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Apr 15, 2018 12:46 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:
7332 (Seaboard System logo, was retired too) Waste of money repainting it into YN3B though.

7332 was probably one of the first round retirements, as CSX retired all of their ex-Conrail Dash-8s in one fell swoop prior to retiring the rest.

Ethan the Railfanner

Post by Ethan the Railfanner » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:58 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:

7332 was probably one of the first round retirements, as CSX retired all of their ex-Conrail Dash-8s in one fell swoop prior to retiring the rest.

It is such a waste of money, BTW I bet the AC4400CWs are going to be retired. Or do you think CSX might keep them? And I bet in the future they will be getting rid of almost all of their EMDs like SD70MACs, SD70Ms, SD50s, but might keep their SD40-2s for local runs. I've seen a few on SD40-2s still running
Ethan the Railfanner; The main railroad crossing photographer of Southeast United States.

If you have any crossing photos that you would like for submissions:
DM me on the forum
DM me on Discord (ethantherailfanner)
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Wed Apr 18, 2018 9:52 am

Ethan the Railfanner wrote:
NathanFromEngland wrote:

It is such a waste of money, BTW I bet the AC4400CWs are going to be retired. Or do you think CSX might keep them? And I bet in the future they will be getting rid of almost all of their EMDs like SD70MACs, SD70Ms, SD50s, but might keep their SD40-2s for local runs. I've seen a few on SD40-2s still running
I might see if i can catch any ex-CSX dash 8's. Orlando/Tampa is not less than 3 months away.
I wonder if they'll send any other locomotives that CSX are considering to retire will get sent over to NS to rebuild them into SD70ACu's or anything similar.
Here's a tier 4 SD70Ace, CSX will probably start experimenting with the K5LLA, as its rare to find one on their locomotives.