Incadescent Vs. LED

Want to know what other people think about signals? Ask here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Incadescent? or LED?

Incadescent
47%
LED
30%
There cool just as long as there making sure nobody gets killed
23%

Total votes: 30
TommyBNSF

Re: Incadescent Vs. LED

Post by TommyBNSF » Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:51 pm

I actually saw UP LED's fade once in Wilmington. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMLKy1LsR2c
bnsflover

Post by bnsflover » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:18 pm

These did not fade, these actually NEVER turned off.

Nice voiceovers, though! :TUP2:
Last edited by bnsflover on Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rob
Certrified BNSF Lover.
BNSF rulez!
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Thu Feb 17, 2011 5:20 pm

Smjh1979 wrote:Not exactly. Mixtures occur very often with crossings. The light frames are WCH, but the LEDs are from UP. Very unusual... I could've sworn they looked like Safetran fading... Very unusual. Looks like that's one of UP's LEDs gone wrong...
A lot of Up L.E.D.s fade out here got to be one of my top favorite light behind the ball led
I've also seen leds not turn off, a pair of safetrans in granite city do that
also I still prefer Incandescents over l.e.d.s
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 7:34 pm

I wonder if it was something wrong with the flasher relay? I've seen situations before where one light won't shut off in the past.
bnsflover

Post by bnsflover » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:44 pm

No, it is kind of hard to explain. The lights flashed, but the one that was not supposed to be on was dimmed.
Rob
Certrified BNSF Lover.
BNSF rulez!
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Thu Feb 17, 2011 10:25 pm

Smjh1979 wrote:I wonder if it was something wrong with the flasher relay? I've seen situations before where one light won't shut off in the past.
I dont think its the rely but something like a resistor in the led itself that causes the lights to do that
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
McK&H.Aust

Post by McK&H.Aust » Fri Aug 19, 2016 1:48 am

bnsflover wrote:No, it is kind of hard to explain. The lights flashed, but the one that was not supposed to be on was dimmed.
I know of a crossing in Australia that does a similar thing, but you can only see it at night. It had old incandescent lights but was upgraded with new LED lights a few years ago, the same lights are on lots of other crossings and none of them have that problem. I think the crossing still has the old mechanical flasher relay, because when the lights start up the first couple of flashes are faster and then it settles down to the normal flash rate. The flash rate is not even, one light stays on longer than the other but both lights never completely go out (just very dim) until the crossing shuts off. I think it could have something to do with the old relay, somehow there is still a small amount of current getting through when the light is meant to be off.
TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:34 pm

Doesn't really matter for me. I've even seen crossings which use both Incandescent and LED lights!