What is your favorite... Gate Mechanism?

Want to know what other people think about signals? Ask here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Favorite Gate Mechanism

WRRS Model 10
17%
WRRS/GRS Type D/B
17%
WCH
No votes
US&S Model 95
6%
Safetran
17%
Griswold/RACO/Safetran EM
22%
WABCO AL-70 (Triangle)
No votes
WABCO Model 75
8%
RACO Hydraulic
8%
Harmon
No votes
Transport Products
6%

Total votes: 36
MD2020

Re: What is your favorite... Gate Mechanism?

Post by MD2020 » Sun Mar 25, 2012 4:47 am

....Until you have a WCH gate mech with a boogered up latch, rendering it almost impossible to close with one person, especially if it is over your head. ...That is, if you were able to beat the damn door open in the first place, since they are notorious for sticking shut. Also, WCH mechs seem to always bounce once the gate has "locked" in the up position, creating a spark on the drive up contact, making a burn spot and eventually wearing it out, causing a gate down/failure to drive up malfunction. Not to mention the wire hose goes from the base all the way up the mechanism to the top of it to enter the mech, what brain designed that?

..I have heard them referred to as "Disposable gate mechanisms"
Just the facts, ma'am.
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Thu May 24, 2012 10:26 pm

WRRS/GRS all the way! :TUP1: I can't stand those noisy US&S Model 95's though as BNSF keeps installing them now.
To BNSF with their US&S Mechs STOP IT :STOP2: :STOP: :TDOWN: :redx: :Censored: :Mellow: :Mad: :glare: :Sad: :Curse1: :Confused: :Angry:
As you can see, I HATE HATE HATE Model 95's! They replaced the last Griswold Mech in my area with one :TDOWN: :Awww:
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Sun May 27, 2012 7:08 pm

PaulSP wrote:
LARDLOGO wrote:WRRS/GRS all the way! :TUP1: I can't stand those noisy US&S Model 95's though as BNSF keeps installing them now.
To BNSF with their US&S Mechs STOP IT :STOP2: :STOP: :TDOWN: :redx: :Censored: :Mellow: :Mad: :glare: :Sad: :Curse1: :Confused: :Angry:
As you can see, I HATE HATE HATE Model 95's! They replaced the last Griswold Mech in my area with one :TDOWN: :Awww:
Think you've used enough emoticons there?
Just joined. I was just testing the emoticons, but I HATE the heck out of Model 95's. They are ugly and BNSF is going overkill with them
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Mon May 28, 2012 10:49 pm

PaulSP wrote:
LARDLOGO wrote:
PaulSP wrote:
LARDLOGO wrote:WRRS/GRS all the way! :TUP1: I can't stand those noisy US&S Model 95's though as BNSF keeps installing them now.
Just joined. I was just testing the emoticons, but I HATE the heck out of Model 95's. They are ugly and BNSF is going overkill with them
Being "ugly" is not a very good reason to hate a gate mechanism. Do you have any experiences of them failing or otherwise not functioning properly to support your hating them?
Just realized that's a bad reason :oops:

Anyway. Once in Sumas, I was watching a train go by, and after the gate went up the mech kept pumping and shaking. It also got very very hot! Needless to say, The mech still does it VERY often and it gets on my nerves. Then again, I blame bad wiring.
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Mon May 28, 2012 11:17 pm

LARDLOGO wrote:
PaulSP wrote:
LARDLOGO wrote:
PaulSP wrote:
Being "ugly" is not a very good reason to hate a gate mechanism. Do you have any experiences of them failing or otherwise not functioning properly to support your hating them?
Just realized that's a bad reason :oops:

Anyway. Once in Sumas, I was watching a train go by, and after the gate went up the mech kept pumping and shaking. It also got very very hot! Needless to say, The mech still does it VERY often and it gets on my nerves. Then again, I blame bad wiring.
95's are good mech if properly maintained.
WCH while I love the company their older 3590 mech have a lot of problems all around.
Nothing beats a good ol' well maintained GRS type D! :cool:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
MD2020

Post by MD2020 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:34 am

Actually, nowadays, WCH is the cheap alternative, when designers are trying to get by within a certian budget and save money. WCH mechs have mostly inferior design to Safetran, in several aspects. I know someone who refers to them as "Disposable gate mechanisims" ...Not too far from the truth.

"Properly maintained" WCH, means you are constantly adjusting and replacing things. On a Safetran, set it up, use the same gate arms each time they break (To keep the weight the same) keep your contacts clean and oil the HC and grease the gears about once a year, and they will perform for you without fail. But fail to set the verticle and horizontal weight correctly, and your HC will prematurely fail. Thats not the mech's fault.

GRS are good mechs, but they aren't good for longer gate arms; their HC's can't handle it, and the motors don't have the tourque that Safetran has. Also, the drive up contact wears out over time, and you can't keep it in proper shape.

I work with this stuff on a daily basis, I have my hands all in them, and I praise the good ones when they work well, and cuss the stupid ones for all they are worth, right from the start when I go to open a WCH mech and have to deal with the stupid, poorly designed, cheap latch on top, so believe me, I'm not shooting from the hip because of some company history, or because of what I grew up seeing or how they look, I know whats up with them from experience.
Just the facts, ma'am.
TheSignalMan2000

Post by TheSignalMan2000 » Fri Aug 17, 2012 3:26 pm

I would like to say the Safetran gates are pretty neat, not because I got photos of the gates (and signals) of them and mostly in my area. but they also are really neat on the signals
ImageImageImage
The crossing photographer of Louisiana, Mississippi, & East Texas

My YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSignalman2000/
My Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/158425094@N07/
NSrailfan4life

Post by NSrailfan4life » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:07 am

Safetran for life my friends, A very well made mechanism indeed!
C.E.O. of Nelsons Trainsim Store Nelson Acosta: Our Webpage: http://trafficlight658.wix.com/nelsonstrainsimstore
McK&H.Aust

Post by McK&H.Aust » Fri Sep 23, 2016 11:02 pm

I voted for WRRS/GRS Type B/D. When I was growing up nearly all the crossings in my area had type B's and I like the look of them. I have never seen one malfunction or give any kind of trouble, either with longer gates or shorter ones. There are still a few type B's left in Australia, along with some type D's, I guess for them to last for so long they must have been well made.
TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 4:24 pm

I have a few favorites. I'll start off with my favorite...

1. WRRS Model 10/McK&H Gate Mechanism.
These are arguably my favorite. Not only do they look great on classic signals, but they always seem to work without any flaws.

2. Westinghouse Gate Mechanism.
Although not a listed option, most crossings near me have Westinghouse Gate Mechs (Including my childhood crossing, McGregor Road).

3. Safetran.
Pretty sturdy design, works well with newer setups. Though it's annoying when it replaces an older gate mech.