So Bizarre...

Talk about other non-signal stuff here. Make sure to obey the rules though.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

AndrewFields

So Bizarre...

Post by AndrewFields » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:57 am

So I was up in Vancouver about half an hour ago and got gas. As I was standing there waiting for the tank to fill, I noticed something was different. I then realized there was a set of traffic lights pointing down a road that used to be a one way. They had changed it from a one-way to a two way and it just struck me as weird. I'd driven this street before as a one way but driving it the other way felt just plain weird.

Has anybody else experienced this?
You think your car gets bad mileage? SP 4449 consumes 10 gallons of bunker oil and 100 gallons of water every mile.
cabman701

Re: So Bizarre...

Post by cabman701 » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:27 pm

Well I have kind of been in the same situation before...

Here in my home town of Springfield we have the Illinois State Fairgrounds which hosts the state fair every year in August. Because there are so many people in that area at one time (100,000 +), the roads that run around the perimeter of the fairgrounds are turned one way going counterclockwise for 2 weeks to help ease the traffic congestion. It is kind of fun (and odd) to be able to drive down the wrong side of the road legally.

They have been doing this for as long as I can remember... I always thought that one of these times somebody would get confused and go the "right way" based on the way the road normally is and cause a huge accident... but that has never happened.

Here is a Google map of what I am talking about. The roads that encircle the green area are the ones that are made one way: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 30384&z=15

And if you tool around the area on street view you can find the folding-type street signs that are opened only during that two week period when the flow of traffic is changed: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source= ... 9830508477