Strange Tornado Siren.

Talk about other non-signal stuff here. Make sure to obey the rules though.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Strange Tornado Siren.

Post by ToledoRailfan » Mon May 08, 2017 12:03 am

Imagine you are under a severe thunderstorm with a tornado warning and you hear this! That would just make it feel more scary! :Blink: :Scared:
freebrickproductions

Re: Strange Tornado Siren.

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon May 08, 2017 12:05 am

That was just the tone that town tested the sirens in, as to avoid confusion, I believe. I think those EOWS 612s have since been replaced as well.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by ToledoRailfan » Mon May 08, 2017 12:07 am

freebrickproductions wrote:That was just the tone that town tested the sirens in, as to avoid confusion, I believe. I think those EOWS 612s have since been replaced as well.
Wouldn't it make more sense to test the sirens in the normal tone?
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon May 08, 2017 12:21 am

ToledoRailfan wrote:
freebrickproductions wrote:That was just the tone that town tested the sirens in, as to avoid confusion, I believe. I think those EOWS 612s have since been replaced as well.
I guess? Testing them in the same tone used for warnings would help insure that the tone would work properly when the siren is going off "for the real thing", but I guess on electronic sirens (or at least sirens with newer controllers), that doesn't always need to be the case.

ZachL

Post by ZachL » Mon May 08, 2017 1:11 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:
Well, the tests are conducted to make sure that the sirens sound, and not so much as a test of the alert.

Also, are there any EOWS 612s still in service? I haven't seen any as of late.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon May 08, 2017 2:46 pm

ZachL wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
Well, the tests are conducted to make sure that the sirens sound, and not so much as a test of the alert.

I think there's a few up in Michigan, and a couple in Illinois, maybe Ohio and/or Indiana. IIRC, Texas may have some as well. Hawaii replaced all of theirs, I believe.

ZachL

Post by ZachL » Mon May 08, 2017 4:49 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
ZachL wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:

I think there's a few up in Michigan, and a couple in Illinois, maybe Ohio and/or Indiana. IIRC, Texas may have some as well. Hawaii replaced all of theirs, I believe.
Yeah, I figured that they were a kinda that's disappearing. Probably replaced by FS 2001s in a lot of municipalities, too.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon May 08, 2017 11:05 pm

ZachL wrote:
ZachL wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:

Yeah, I figured that they were a kinda that's disappearing. Probably replaced by FS 2001s in a lot of municipalities, too.
Hawaii's were replaced by Modulators and Modulator IIs. I forget what Circleville, OH replaced theirs with (if they were replaced), but I want to say T-128s.

LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Tue May 09, 2017 7:37 pm

ZachL wrote:
ZachL wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:

Hawaii's were replaced by Modulators and Modulator IIs. I forget what Circleville, OH replaced theirs with (if they were replaced), but I want to say T-128s.
Looks like it was replaced with a Whelen "R4 Vortex" Electronic Siren. This is as close as I could get to it.
https://goo.gl/maps/kw44T7kL3ZE2
Had to have replaced the EOWS siren sometime before 2013. Here's a test of it.

Here's where the old EOWS/SiraTone "612" back in 2007
https://goo.gl/maps/gDHC2dBWfmS2

Video of it being tested. In my honest opinion [I'm a FS Thunderbolt/ Carter/ ACA Hurricane and Allertor fan myself], this is one of the most annoying sirens I've ever heard. :aaargh:
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Wed May 10, 2017 11:09 am

LARDLOGO wrote:Video of it being tested. In my honest opinion [I'm a FS Thunderbolt/ Carter/ ACA Hurricane and Allertor fan myself], this is one of the most annoying sirens I've ever heard. :aaargh:
Annoying... yes, but I believe that is the point. Definitely gets people's attention when it is needed.