Heritage Box on CSX train

Talk about other non-signal stuff here. Make sure to obey the rules though.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

NathanFromEngland

Heritage Box on CSX train

Post by NathanFromEngland » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:11 am

What are these anyway? I've never seen them in person, but i don't understand what they're used for.
freebrickproductions

Re: Heritage Box on CSX train

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:52 am

The A&NR box car at 2:30 belongs (or at least, belonged, as I can't make out the reporting mark) to this shortline railroad, which still exists in the state of Texas:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angelina_ ... r_Railroad

The ex-SP "Golden West Service" box cars at 2:44 and 2:48 are now owned by UP (IIRC) and haven't been repainted yet, is all. Unlike locomotives, the looks of box cars (outside of removing graffiti from them) doesn't really matter to railroads, as long as they still work, so many fallen flags can be found on box cars and other rolling stock. In fact, I've even seen a covered hopper that still said "Penn Central" on the side!

That's the case for the other fallen flag box cars on that train, such as the Western Pacific one at 3:16 and the ex-Cotton Belt (SSW) "Golden West Service" & Southern Railroad box cars at 5:01.

AFAIK, the only "heritage car" that I'm aware of here in the US is NS 146313, the NS Pier 6 hopper:
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Sun Dec 10, 2017 9:14 am

freebrickproductions wrote:The A&NR box car at 2:30 belongs (or at least, belonged, as I can't make out the reporting mark) to this shortline railroad, which still exists in the state of Texas:

The ex-SP "Golden West Service" box cars at 2:44 and 2:48 are now owned by UP (IIRC) and haven't been repainted yet, is all. Unlike locomotives, the looks of box cars (outside of removing graffiti from them) doesn't really matter to railroads, as long as they still work, so many fallen flags can be found on box cars and other rolling stock. In fact, I've even seen a covered hopper that still said "Penn Central" on the side!

That's the case for the other fallen flag box cars on that train, such as the Western Pacific one at 3:16 and the ex-Cotton Belt (SSW) "Golden West Service" & Southern Railroad box cars at 5:01.

AFAIK, the only "heritage car" that I'm aware of here in the US is NS 146313, the NS Pier 6 hopper:
Sorry, i wasn't specific enough...

Skip to 1:54.
Erik-Gorb-Hamilton

Post by Erik-Gorb-Hamilton » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:47 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:
freebrickproductions wrote:The A&NR box car at 2:30 belongs (or at least, belonged, as I can't make out the reporting mark) to this shortline railroad, which still exists in the state of Texas:

AFAIK Those are the Garbage Cars. They very from road to road. Up here in the Pacific North West we have purpose built double stacks for this kind of service. Most of the time they ride in old BN Well cars!
maxresdefault.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg (182.3 KiB) Viewed 4180 times
Continuing my
Grandfathers
Legacy

CEO of the Stratford Gap Railway
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Dec 10, 2017 5:47 pm

Erik-Gorb-Hamilton wrote:
NathanFromEngland wrote:

AFAIK Those are the Garbage Cars. They very from road to road. Up here in the Pacific North West we have purpose built double stacks for this kind of service. Most of the time they ride in old BN Well cars!
Yea, those are garbage cars. And yes, they smell awful.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.