Old commercials.

Talk about other non-signal stuff here. Make sure to obey the rules though.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

NathanFromEngland

Old commercials.

Post by NathanFromEngland » Wed Jul 25, 2018 6:10 am

I know there is a similar topic on this, but the topic is pretty much dead and hasn't seen a post in around seven years.

Here's a Tiny Computers advertisement from around the late 1990's. My dad owned one of these, until he broke it last year when he had no use for it when it took it out of the loft after many years up there, the PC brought back so many memories for me. Although Tiny went under at the start of 2002 although the brand was still used by another company until they went into administration at the end of July 2005.
Refer to me as 'Nari' - She/They are my preferred pronouns
TrickyMario7654

Re: Old commercials.

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 10:48 pm

Funny you posted this because lately I've been going through a bunch of off-air recordings from my family, friends, and relatives' collections of videotapes, capturing the commercial breaks off them and putting them up onto YouTube. They currently range from September 29, 1988 to April 12, 2010.

Playlist of all the commercial videos I've uploaded...

Speaking of computers, look how expensive they were in 2001!
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:26 pm

TrickyMario7654 wrote:Funny you posted this because lately I've been going through a bunch of off-air recordings from my family, friends, and relatives' collections of videotapes, capturing the commercial breaks off them and putting them up onto YouTube. They currently range from September 29, 1988 to April 12, 2010.

Yea, computers were quite expensive for a long time. In fact, as crappy as they were, EMachines computers were notable as they helped bring the price of computers down below $1000 (in USD).
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:13 am

freebrickproductions wrote:
TrickyMario7654 wrote:Funny you posted this because lately I've been going through a bunch of off-air recordings from my family, friends, and relatives' collections of videotapes, capturing the commercial breaks off them and putting them up onto YouTube. They currently range from September 29, 1988 to April 12, 2010.

Yea, computers were quite expensive for a long time. In fact, as crappy as they were, EMachines computers were notable as they helped bring the price of computers down below $1000 (in USD).
Looking at the Harvey Norman site, I noticed that the cheapest desktop computer they currently had on offer was $278 (in Australian dollars).
https://www.harveynorman.com.au/compute ... oolbar-top

On the subject of Harvey Norman, did anyone here find their jingle to be rather obnoxious? They still use the "Go Harvey Norman Go!" slogan to this day, but it's no where near as annoying as the one used from 2001 to around 2007-ish (as heard in the video above). The original variation of this jingle used from 1998 to 2001 would arguably the most annoying in my opinion...

Here's some more commercials with jingles that some may find obnoxious...

Lube Mobile - A classic commercial I remember as a child that was used for several years (an earlier version of this ad had slightly different animation and clips, but looked identical to the one below):

Cheap Doors (Albion Park Rail) - McK&H Aust. might remember this ad that aired on local Wollongong TV, although the description mentions a much more notorious jingle the business used that sadly isn't on the internet.
TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:41 pm

Am I the only one who finds the Mitre 10 jingle used in Australia from late 1995 to about early 1998 awesome? The animation of the '10/10' morphing into the Mitre 10 logo is also simple but effective...

I've found Mitre 10 ads with every other slogan from around 1990 onwards in my personal collection, with the exception of this one unfortunately... :aaargh:
dan the ca railfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by dan the ca railfan » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:21 pm

very lucky to live two-three blocks away from three teardrop bells. one of which i see at least once a week!
TrickyMario7654

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 4:59 am

Here’s an Australian Sanyo VCR commercial from 1988 (skip to 10:19).

Also, I love how it says “Recording TV programmes may infringe copyright”. :LOL3:
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:00 pm

TrickyMario7654 wrote:

Also, I love how it says “Recording TV programmes may infringe copyright”. :LOL3:
I used to have a ton of VCR tapes until around September 2015, when we had got rid of the VCR around a year earlier, i can remember some VCR tapes like Brum and Jay Jay the Jet Plane

We eventually put them in a collection box IIRC at a local recycling center (Don't consider asking me "Who uses a VCR in this day and age?"

If i can try and remember any more, i will let you know.

For now, have a Publix commercial from the 1990's, Pat Methenys Last Train Home, for if you know little information was used as the end theme for the Stardust Crusaders arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure with a Greatest hits album being released just before the arc ended.

Anyway, i've provided y'all enough history to literally confuse you.
dan the ca railfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by dan the ca railfan » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:13 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:
TrickyMario7654 wrote:

I used to have a ton of VCR tapes until around September 2015, when we had got rid of the VCR around a year earlier, i can remember some VCR tapes like Brum and Jay Jay the Jet Plane

We eventually put them in a collection box IIRC at a local recycling center (Don't consider asking me "Who uses a VCR in this day and age?"

For now, have a Publix commercial from the 1990's, Pat Methenys Last Train Home, for if you know little information was used as the end theme for the Stardust Crusaders arc of Jojo's Bizarre Adventure with a Greatest hits album being released just before the arc ended.

is till have a vcr and bout bout 20-30 tapes however for the moment iv'e stoped collecting them because my vcr is broken and i need to geta new one and there is really no point in collecting vhs tapes also congrats for throwing away money. yeah any childrens vhs tape from the 1980s is worth money especially one's from the united kingdom those are the one'smost valued by collectors
very lucky to live two-three blocks away from three teardrop bells. one of which i see at least once a week!
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:40 pm

dan the ca railfan wrote:
NathanFromEngland wrote:
TrickyMario7654 wrote:

is till have a vcr and bout bout 20-30 tapes however for the moment iv'e stoped collecting them because my vcr is broken and i need to geta new one and there is really no point in collecting vhs tapes also congrats for throwing away money. yeah any childrens vhs tape from the 1980s is worth money especially one's from the united kingdom those are the one'smost valued by collectors
Well how was i supposed to know that they are valuble? Brum ran from 1991 until late-2002, and i remember an episode where he chases a runaway ball, which aired in July 2002. IMO, it wouldn't be valuable.

Also, Jay Jay ran from 1998 until late-November 2005.

Those are the only VCR tapes i know.