Unusual TV Segments

Talk about other non-signal stuff here. Make sure to obey the rules though.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

NathanFromEngland

Unusual TV Segments

Post by NathanFromEngland » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:08 am

Similiar to my "Live TV Fails" but they aren't exactly live.

Here's one that is kinda hilarious, from a 2003 episode of Top Gear.

I'm ngl, but that jazz music is pretty cheesy. :Wink:
TrickyMario7654

Re: Unusual TV Segments

Post by TrickyMario7654 » Fri Jan 18, 2019 6:52 pm

I know this would have been live, but the conversational 1992 Tooheys 1000 (the last held under international Group A regulations) has undoubtedly the most infamous podium presentation in Australian motorsport history.

In what was perhaps one of the wettest Bathurst 1000's in history, the #1 Winfield Nissan GT-R of Jim Richards and Mark Skaife had been mostly untouchable throughout the whole race, taking the lead from the polesitting #17 Shell Ford Sierra of Dick Johnson and John Bowe at the end of the third lap and led pretty much the rest of the race. However, with just under twenty laps to go, dark clouds started to swarm the circuit and it began to rain heavily. While most cars headed straight to the pits for wets, some cars were caught out by the sudden downpour and this included the leading Nissan GT-R.

Jim Richards (who was usually considered the rain master due to his wet weather driving skills) crashed somewhere on top of the mountain and pulled the front left out of the car. With the amount of water on the road, Jim found himself aquaplaning into a pile up that had been formed by two Holden Commodores and a Toyota Corolla at Forrest's Elbow, joining the unintentional wrecking yard at the bottom of the mountain. Shortly after this, the red flag was brought to stop the race at 144 laps completed out of 161. Just as this happened, the class leading Corolla ending up joining the party down there.

Meanwhile, Dick Johnson was among the cars to have pitted when the downpour began and emerged unscathed from the madness. Despite this however, the rules state that if the red flag is used and the race cannot be restarted, then the results must be declared based on the last fully completed lap. Because the Richards/Skaife GT-R was still leading at the end of the 143rd lap, they were declared the winners in spite of the crash they had. This angered many fans (mainly Ford fans) at the mountain because not only had a crashed car won the race, but it wasn't a Holden or a Ford (the two main rivals in Australian touring car racing).

When the podium presentation was held, most of the fans underneath booed chanted "Bull****" during the presentation at the Nissan drivers, reserving cheers and applause for the 2nd placed Johnson/Bowe Sierra with Johnson stating begrudgingly that "you can be beaten by a crashed car" and declaring him and Bowe the moral winners.

However, most of the Nissan drivers weren't too pleased with the behavior of the crowd. 3rd place had been taken by the #2 Winfield Nissan GT-R of Anders Olofsson and Neil Crompton (the second car from the Gibson Motorsport stable), and during his podium speech, Crompton expressed his disappointment over the crowd behavior ending with "I know this mob don't like it, but tough.", and then eventually flipping the middle finger at the crowd. Anders on the other hand didn't mind the reception saying that "I like it anyway" and "I don't mind if they cheer them up [the cars from other brands like Holden or Ford] or not".

But the above is often overshadowed by the winning pair's response to the unruly crowd below them. Mark Skaife started off by saying how "they led the race all day" and "we won the race, that's how it is". But the most infamous speech undoubtedly comes from Jim Richards. Prior to hopping back into the car for his second stint, he had been told that his good friend and fellow kiwi competitor Denny Hulme had passed away after suffering a heart attack behind the wheel of a Benson & Hedges BMW M3 earlier in the race (his death was also announced during the race telecast by Channel Seven commentator Mike Raymond, but the crowd at the mountain were totally unaware of this due to no announcement being made by the track commentators). Upon hearing the boos from the crowd, Gentleman Jim snapped and unleashed this speech describing how disgusted he was with their behavior considering the circumstances (see 4:46 in the video):
Jim Richards wrote:"I'm just really stunned for words, I can't believe the reception. I thought Australian race fans had a lot more to go than this, this is bloody disgraceful. I'll keep racing but I tell you what, this is going to remain with me for a long time, you're a pack of a***holes."
When prompted by Channel Seven's Garry Wilkinson (who was presenting the podium) to give the crowd a champagne bath, Richo replied with "I wouldn't bother" (although he and Skaife later sprayed the traditional champagne on the dystopian crowd).

In my opinion, I think what Jimmy Richards said on the day was totally justifiable and true. After the tragic passing of a good mate and the unsportsmanlike reception from the crowd, who wouldn't wont to give them a spray for their behavior? Believe it or not, the 1993 Bathurst 1000 (with consisted of mostly V8 Ford Falcons and Holden Commodores, of which Fred Gibson [team owner] switched to running the latter as turbo-powered cars were banned from Australian touring car racing after December 31, 1992) had crowd members with shirts saying "I'm an a***hole, Jim Richards told me" and Richo had to sign them, showing that the infamous podium speech has a humorous side to it.

I know that most of you wouldn't really give two :Censored: about this, but I thought it was something interesting worth sharing on here.