End of the road for the 11 foot 8 bridge.

Talk about other non-signal stuff here. Make sure to obey the rules though.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

NathanFromEngland

End of the road for the 11 foot 8 bridge.

Post by NathanFromEngland » Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:21 pm

So, if you've ever watched a bridge decimate tall vehicles (mainly trucks), then you had came to the right place. The 11 foot 8 bridge, although in recent years there has been safety features that have been changed (i.e. the addition of a new traffic light that reduced the accidents slightly). But now sadly is the end of the road.

NCDOT are currently working on a project to raise the bridge by eight inches, so there will sadly be no more 11 foot 8, meaning the new height of the bridge will be 12 foot 4, this is because NCDOT are wanting to as usual, reduce the number of crashes here. Crashes may still be common, but at this point most likely very rare now at this point.

It's a sad end for a once iconic bridge.
Nascar Fan007

Re: End of the road for the 11 foot 8 bridge.

Post by Nascar Fan007 » Sun Oct 27, 2019 9:57 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:
Sun Oct 27, 2019 7:21 pm
So, if you've ever watched a bridge decimate tall vehicles (mainly trucks), then you had came to the right place. The 11 foot 8 bridge, although in recent years there has been safety features that have been changed (i.e. the addition of a new traffic light that reduced the accidents slightly). But now sadly is the end of the road.

NCDOT are currently working on a project to raise the bridge by eight inches, so there will sadly be no more 11 foot 8, meaning the new height of the bridge will be 12 foot 4, this is because NCDOT are wanting to as usual, reduce the number of crashes here. Crashes may still be common, but at this point most likely very rare now at this point.

It's a sad end for a once iconic bridge.
Rip 11 foot 8 bridge. You will be sadly missed :Awww:
Proud owner of a safetran mechanical bell and Griswold mechanical bell along with a pair of safetran 12x20 lights and a 8 inch light. Been a fan of trains since I was little. Main place I railfan on, The Sedalia Sub.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:09 am

Sad, but fully understandable. Plus, I'm pretty sure every time a vehicle hit that bridge, NS had to stop traffic on that line and inspect it to make sure it wasn't damaged. So, all in all, this is really the much-needed right thing to do.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Mon Oct 28, 2019 6:10 pm

Here is the video of some "preparation" work being done.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Mon Oct 28, 2019 7:24 pm

From my understanding, the bridge is being raised to be level with the grade at the next crossing down the line. It's just the raising of the clearance is a fortunate side effect of the work going on.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
Nascar Fan007

Post by Nascar Fan007 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:10 am

here's an update to the bridge. they have begun the raising process. Wonder if the traffic lights and the overheight must turn sign will be removed once they get done raising the bridge.
Proud owner of a safetran mechanical bell and Griswold mechanical bell along with a pair of safetran 12x20 lights and a 8 inch light. Been a fan of trains since I was little. Main place I railfan on, The Sedalia Sub.
NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:05 pm

Nascar Fan007 wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:10 am

here's an update to the bridge. they have begun the raising process. Wonder if the traffic lights and the overheight must turn sign will be removed once they get done raising the bridge.
Probably not, the signals were installed in 2016 and removing them 3 years later would be money wasted.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:12 pm

12'4" is still a rather low clearance...
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538