Update Schedule for 2017

Updates to the website are shown here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

TommyBNSF

Re: Update Schedule for 2017

Post by TommyBNSF » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:21 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:
TommyBNSF wrote: Also, I know some people don't like having every crossing photographed, but for me personally, it's best to have all of them photographed so we know what they have. If you just photograph the cool crossings, no one will know what the other "non cool" crossings have, and sometimes people want to know, myself included. If you don't want to photograph them, that's perfectly fine, but for me, it's all or nothing. You can choose whether to view those crossings on the site or not, but I still want to photograph them, although it also gets me swamped with pictures that'll sit for over a year waiting to be posted, so it's a double edged sword.

I also do it to keep an archive of the crossing to see it progress through time. It's especially interesting for crossings on the UP Joliet Sub in Illinois, to see them transform from humble 2 signal crossings, to massive 4 or even 5 or 6 signal setups, sometimes with pedestrian gates.
But that wasn't what this site was about during the Hickok days. Why can you guys just create a new website for documenting every crossing instead of completely changing an already existing website?
Mike would allow just about anything onto the site. He never turned down anything I submitted, even standard crossings. Although, in his last years, he was getting burn out and wanted to shut the site down entirely, but thankfully we convinced him not to. So if anything, you have us to thank for his legacy not disappearing entirely.
ToledoRailfan
No Longer Associated With The Forum

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:25 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
TommyBNSF wrote: Also, I know some people don't like having every crossing photographed, but for me personally, it's best to have all of them photographed so we know what they have. If you just photograph the cool crossings, no one will know what the other "non cool" crossings have, and sometimes people want to know, myself included. If you don't want to photograph them, that's perfectly fine, but for me, it's all or nothing. You can choose whether to view those crossings on the site or not, but I still want to photograph them, although it also gets me swamped with pictures that'll sit for over a year waiting to be posted, so it's a double edged sword.

I also do it to keep an archive of the crossing to see it progress through time. It's especially interesting for crossings on the UP Joliet Sub in Illinois, to see them transform from humble 2 signal crossings, to massive 4 or even 5 or 6 signal setups, sometimes with pedestrian gates.
But that wasn't what this site was about during the Hickok days. Why can you guys just create a new website for documenting every crossing instead of completely changing an already existing website?
Why didn't Google create a new website instead of changing YouTube? Why didn't Yahoo! create a new website instead of changing Flickr or Tumblr? Also, the site kinda sorta was about documenting just about every crossing in the Hickok days it appears (at least from the point of view as a person who came after he was around), at least until Google Street View became a thing.

Also, another thing that I'm gonna mention is that none of us are Mike. Most of us don't act, think, or even hold many (if any) of the same opinions as him. For example, my favorite standard install by any Class I railroad in the new millennium would be the early to mid 2000s CSX installs, both the gateless and gated ones. Mike probably wouldn't mind the gateless ones, but he definitely wouldn't like any of the gated ones.
Don't you think its kinda disrespectful towards Mike's legacy to completely change his site like this? He put his heart and soul into this site. I never said you had to be exactly like him, I might be a hypocrite if I said that. But the whole point of this site has completely changed. And I highly doubt that most people would prefer a site featuring every single crossing over unique and interesting ones. I'm curious to see how the site traffic has changed over the years.
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:29 pm

TommyBNSF wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:

Mike would allow just about anything onto the site. He never turned down anything I submitted, even standard crossings.
The amount of pages for standard setups and pages in general wasn't nearly as high as the amount that are added to site nowadays...
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:32 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:

Why didn't Google create a new website instead of changing YouTube? Why didn't Yahoo! create a new website instead of changing Flickr or Tumblr? Also, the site kinda sorta was about documenting just about every crossing in the Hickok days it appears (at least from the point of view as a person who came after he was around), at least until Google Street View became a thing.

Also, another thing that I'm gonna mention is that none of us are Mike. Most of us don't act, think, or even hold many (if any) of the same opinions as him. For example, my favorite standard install by any Class I railroad in the new millennium would be the early to mid 2000s CSX installs, both the gateless and gated ones. Mike probably wouldn't mind the gateless ones, but he definitely wouldn't like any of the gated ones.
Don't you think its kinda disrespectful towards Mike's legacy to completely change his site like this? He put his heart and soul into this site. I never said you had to be exactly like him, I might be a hypocrite if I said that. But the whole point of this site has completely changed. And I highly doubt that most people would prefer a site featuring every single crossing over unique and interesting ones. I'm curious to see how the site traffic has changed over the years.
#1, read Tommy's post.
#2, that doesn't change the fact that if he had been more selective like you say, he wouldn't have accepted this crossing to the site before this crossing.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:36 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:

#1, read Tommy's post.
#2, that doesn't change the fact that if he had been more selective like you say, he wouldn't have accepted this crossing to the site before this crossing.
#1, he posted that post while I was making a post so I wasn't able to read it before I made that post
#2, don't see why you're still upset over that. (1) I documented that crossing before I knew about the 8'' one (2) Point to where I said the site has to be exactly (keyword exactly) like it was when Mike was still alive.
TommyBNSF

Post by TommyBNSF » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:37 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:
TommyBNSF wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:

Mike would allow just about anything onto the site. He never turned down anything I submitted, even standard crossings.
The amount of pages for standard setups and pages in general wasn't nearly as high as the amount that are added to site nowadays...
That's because back then I wasn't able to get out as much and photograph as much as I wanted to, but now with a better car and more money, I can go out way more often and photograph more crossings.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:40 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:

#1, read Tommy's post.
#1, he posted that post while I was making a post so I wasn't able to read it before I made that post
#2, don't see why you're still upset over that. (1) I documented that crossing before I knew about the 8'' one (2) Point to where I said the site has to be exactly (keyword exactly) like it was when Mike was still alive.
ToledoRailfan wrote: But that wasn't what this site was about during the Hickok days. Why can you guys just create a new website for documenting every crossing instead of completely changing an already existing website?
Also, I feel like it's worth noting that a lot of older set-ups were posted back then, just simply due to the fact that older set-ups were much more common back then.

Also, if you want a site that's more selective about the crossings that it accepts, you're free to start your own.

ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:44 pm

TommyBNSF wrote: Also, I know some people don't like having every crossing photographed, but for me personally, it's best to have all of them photographed so we know what they have. If you just photograph the cool crossings, no one will know what the other "non cool" crossings have, and sometimes people want to know, myself included. If you don't want to photograph them, that's perfectly fine, but for me, it's all or nothing. You can choose whether to view those crossings on the site or not, but I still want to photograph them, although it
I can't image he'd accept 1000s of pages of basically the same thing. You don't need to photograph every crossing that exists to show people what they have. We have Google Streetview for that. And I personally have a hard time believing that many people want to know what every crossing has. Yes people can choose what pages to view on the site but I can't image that people come here to skim over 100,000 of pages of boring stuff just to view individual pages as opposed to having the full experience of the site. And like I said, Mike put his heart and soul into this site, I can't image he wanted the site to be like this.
Last edited by freebrickproductions on Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: did a basic quote fixing, though you may want to go back and clean it up better yourself
ToledoRailfan

Post by ToledoRailfan » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:52 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:
ToledoRailfan wrote:

#1, read Tommy's post.
ToledoRailfan wrote: But that wasn't what this site was about during the Hickok days. Why can you guys just create a new website for documenting every crossing instead of completely changing an already existing website?
Also, I feel like it's worth noting that a lot of older set-ups were posted back then, just simply due to the fact that older set-ups were much more common back then.
Again, I never said that the site has to be exactly (keyword: exactly) like it was when Mike was running the site. I'm not sure if you're not reading what I typed or what. Yes older crossings are less common than they were back then which is why I also think we shouldn't be as selective like it was. But being less selective isn't the same as just flat out documenting every crossing that we can find. And who said a crossing is unique just based on it's equipment? I think we need to make this site quality over quantity again. A definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Feb 10, 2018 11:56 pm

ToledoRailfan wrote:A definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting a different result.
Like what you've been doing?

Also:
ToledoRailfan wrote: Again, I never said that the site has to be exactly (keyword: exactly) like it was when Mike was running the site. I'm not sure if you're not reading what I typed or what.
I had read what you typed, however, you had also heavily implied that is should be "exactly" like it was in the statement I quoted.