Making US&S 8x20 flashers in MSTS

Post all Microsoft Train Simulator pictures and videos here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

ConductorWho

Making US&S 8x20 flashers in MSTS

Post by ConductorWho » Thu Nov 08, 2012 4:50 pm

This is a project I started in the past couple days, so I don't have any screenshots...yet. I've Got the basic flasher shape, and credits to a nice photography run I did, I have...pretty much everything except a high-res lit texture for the lamps.

I just need to do some tinkering with the details for the lights. Also, I'm deliberating over whether I should have each flasher separate, or if I should have all the flashers on a single shape, with basic single-direction and bi-directional setups. Only reason I'm doing this, though, is because I haven't seen an instance of a US&S light unit that has been rotated (i.e. 45 degrees to the tracks as opposed to perpendicular) in the area I'm modeling for MSTS--the Irvine Industrial Complex.

First off, any suggestions about my setup? Should I add / change anything?

Also, does anyone have a good picture of a lit US&S 8x20 flasher? I haven't been able to find or create a good one.

Many thanks in advance!
AndyWS

Re: Making US&S 8x20 flashers in MSTS

Post by AndyWS » Thu Nov 08, 2012 5:11 pm

...and you can call it a "flasher" now without being impulsively corrected. :Laugh:

Unfortunately, the only US&S lights I've photographed in action are 12" x 20."
ConductorWho

Post by ConductorWho » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:29 pm

Okay...this is probably a typical rookie mistake, but...
Asssuming both are incandescent, would a 12x20 and an 8x20 have a similar light inserts?
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Thu Nov 08, 2012 8:31 pm

ConductorWho

Post by ConductorWho » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:01 pm

Thanks! That gives me a good backer texture and a nice reference as to what the primary roundel looks like when lit, so now I'll just have to keep surfing and try to find a straight-on shot of that kind of roundel.

EDIT: That gave me the model number--US&S HC81--so I plugged it into google and found a front-on shot of the roundel while illuminated. Well, I guess I know what I'll be doing tommorow night! ^^