Ah, the days when I used to play MSTS

Post all Microsoft Train Simulator pictures and videos here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

AndyWS

Ah, the days when I used to play MSTS

Post by AndyWS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:00 pm

I haven't played MSTS since early 2011, since Windows 7 won't run it properly (I've tried the 'compatibility mode", which hasn't fixed it on either of the computers I've had). I have Rail Simulator Train Simulator 2012 (updating to 2013 as I type) on this computer but seldom use it, since I don't have as much free time plus I don't like it as much.

MSTS was fun, especially the large amount of user-created free expansion content available for it.

Here is my WSOR passenger train. The coaches are actually re-skins of British designs. The F-unit came with the default GP38 cab and sounds, but I configured it to have the F-unit cab and sounds from the Maple Leaf Tracks Royal Canadian Pacific set.

I did a freelance scenario where a shortline had taken over the Kalispell branch on the default Marias Pass route and operated it using a hodgepodge of Geeps, including an ex-WSOR GP35, ex-CP GP9R, and ex-BNSF GP38-2 (default).

AndyWS

Re: Ah, the days when I used to play MSTS

Post by AndyWS » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:14 pm

One of the expansion routes I had was the ATSF Howard Branch. In reality, this line has been abandoned and gone since 1975, but I set it up as if the track had merely lain dormant/out of service and was rescued by a shortline. The shortline started out leasing a couple old BNSF switchers (assuming the adjoining ex-ATSF lines had been passed along to BNSF) and of course a GP38-2.

Any signalized crossings along the line were depicted with various types of MSCo wigwags, including lower quadrant (cantilever), peach basket, and ATSF style short cantilever.

AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:51 pm

Another route that I had depicted a segment of the ex-CNW line northwest of Madison, WI, today's WSOR Reedsburg Subdivision. I usually operated that with late-1990s/early-2000s style WSOR equipment. Some different types of crossing signals were depicted including 2 different styles of cantilever.

AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:04 am

Another train I operated on that line was a ballast train with run-through UP power and Herzog cars from the quarry at Rock Springs. The power consist is typical for the late 90s through mid-2000s when the SD40-2s started to be phased out. This was a prototypical operation until a couple of years ago when the quarry shut down.

AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:18 am

I also depicted the line in the C&NW era:

In one of the "freelance" scenarios I ran on that route, WSOR's 25th Anniversary unit combines with a then brand-new CP ES44AC to power a passenger excursion with CP and WSOR equipment. The CP connects to the WSOR at Madison via a branch line from Portage:

In a similar scenario, CP's Royal Hudson 2816 pulled an excursion on the line:

The F-unit was set out at the Mid-Continent Railway Museum in North Freedom to be a temporary exhibit:

LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Fri Jan 25, 2013 6:14 pm

PaulSP wrote:Nice shots Andy.

I recently just got out of MSTS, for awhile I was really into it (made my own shortline and crossings)

Heres some shots I took some time ago of my MSTS stuff.

Nice Photos
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!