Phasing out new accident pages

News on the website and/or forum is posted here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Smjh1979
Site Admin

Phasing out new accident pages

Post by Smjh1979 » Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:19 pm

Having to work on a total of 35 accidents for a total of 16 new crossings last week has told me something...

Working on accident pages is taking way too much of my time.

Starting with next week's submissions, my creation of accident pages is going to dwindle down to nearly nothing.

On newer crossings, and the older pages I'm going to fix up, accident pages will no longer be made.

I will make some minor exceptions though...

I will make some accident pages only if requested, and there are only 3 requests I'll take at the moment:

1) I will work on an accident page if requested if the person, or a friend of a person is involved with the accident. There are a few of them online in a few places.

2) If the crossing makes big headlines, such as being on TV or in newspapers.

3) If the crossing is a childhood favorite crossing.

A non-acceptable request is if the crossing has a high amount of accidents, such as 12, 15, or even 100 accidents.

Finding accidents is not very hard though... Go to the following site: http://safetydata.fra.dot.gov/OfficeofS ... ssing.aspx

Then enter the DOT number, then click the accidents tab, then press the "Generate Report" button, and a PDF file will open showing you all the accidents for that crossing.

As for the existing accident pages, I will keep maintaining them, if accidents do happen at those crossings. Also, the webpages will still continue to show the total amount of accidents for that crossing, but clicking on that graphic or text will now do nothing.

I've gotten so swamped with submissions with ZERO help, and dropping the accidents is the only way to speed things up. I mentioned before that certain features will have to be dropped if I did not get the help I needed, and sadly it has to come to this.

If some people do wish to continue the accident pages, be my guest. However with the zero requests I've asked before, chances are not looking too good for now.

I don't know if I'll resume accident pages in the future, but chances are not good on those either.
Nimhster

Re: Phasing out new accident pages

Post by Nimhster » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:25 am

What if the submitter wants to create the accident page themselves? Just curious.
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Re: Phasing out new accident pages

Post by Smjh1979 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 2:48 am

Sure, go for it. If someone wants to create the page, do it.