Out of commission until further notice

News on the website and/or forum is posted here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Smjh1979
Site Admin

Re: Out of commission until further notice

Post by Smjh1979 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:29 pm

Yeah. I've been told that. Part of my large intestine may disappear. My Grandfather had colon cancer when he was 64 years old (he died at 82), so I kind of know what to expect.

The thing is: I've been bleeding for about 6 months. He bled for YEARS. Treatment won't be fun, but the TBA notice on the homepage is staying that way until further notice.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:31 pm

Have they said anything about how advanced the cancer is?
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:15 pm

No. I wish they did...
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Mon Jun 27, 2011 10:44 pm

Sorry to hear about this, Mike. Best of luck with your treatment. You'll be in my thoughts.
gedunk

Post by gedunk » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:39 am

Nasty news for sure Mike, but keep in mind you are considerably younger than your Grandpa. That means this has been caught much sooner, and with the advantage of being younger & stronger, there's no reason this can't be beat.

It's going to be life changing for sure, but your are in no way alone in this!
Smjh1979
Site Admin

Post by Smjh1979 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:05 pm

Okay. Here's the final word:

I got in to see the doctor Today. He said that the cancer is Stage 4. It is INCURABLE. I don't know how much time I'll have, but it won't be 2017. A 5 year life expectancy of surviving is <5%.

So.... That means I need to pick a successor fast. Don't ask for the site CSXRailfan2, because you aren't getting it.

I'll probably also sell the Safetran bell as well. I'll get more into that later.

Chemotherapy will probably start in a few days. The cancer is too far advanced for the chemo to do anything.

Future railfanning trips are very unlikely. I'll try to stay with the site as much as I can, but if the chemo makes it to where I can't do anything, then I'll announce my retirement then.
csxrailfan2

Post by csxrailfan2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:25 pm

You should have NOT said that about me, I wasnt taking it anyway, I would just submit photos and making and updating pages for the site ONLY.

I would suggest a Admin to take over the site like TrainmanKight or SouthernPacificLines, and NOT like members like myself taking over so much hard drives on my computer, and taking submissions that need to be made so badly to rush myself, I dont want to take on that much baggage.
Mario Kart Wii Friend Code - 1075-5705-0910

Sonic & the Sega All-Stars Racing Friend Code - 2235-9268-8983
brickbuilder711

Post by brickbuilder711 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 3:55 pm

Alright, Mike, here goes... I haven't been able to read up on this thread since I haven't visited the site all week (I was busy)....

I feel very sorry that this has happened and that you won't be with us anymore :Cry1: I would like to wish you the best of luck surviving the 5 year expectancy, as they say, miracles happen. Just be strong and try to make the best of it. Don't give up your hope which is the last thing you can ever have.

You'll be in my prayers.

Thanks for setting up the site as a faithful pic archive plus as a wonderful conduit for discussion that allowed me to meet you guys.

God bless.
SAFETY FIRST WHEN RAILFANNING TRACKSIDE! Respect private property and DO NOT TRESPASS!

Tolga E.
Miami, FL
Local S Florida Railfan
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 4:52 pm

:Awww: :Cry1:

IDK what to say. It's been great getting to know you, thanks for starting up and maintaining this terrific website and forum, and I hope you are able to make the best of the time you have left with us.
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:37 pm

Wow... just wow. Mike, you are in my prayers.

As for this forum and the site, please do not stress yourself about it. I understand you wanting to pick a successor and all that... but you have a lot on your plate at the moment. This is about the last thing you should be worried about right now.