What's going on around here?

News on the website is posted here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, PaulSP, TommyBNSF

Re: What's going on around here?

Postby LMK29 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:36 am

Last I heard, Kight was arrested for his illegal and sickening actions with those under 18 years of age. Anyone heard anything different?
LMK29
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:29 am

Re: What's going on around here?

Postby freebrickproductions » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:43 pm

LMK29 wrote:Last I heard, Kight was arrested for his illegal and sickening actions with those under 18 years of age. Anyone heard anything different?

Very unlikely considering that he's still on YouTube and uploading videos.
I wonder why he left the other sites though.
R.I.P. HMCR 8933; 1951-2013. Hasn't been moved since it was put next to Huntsville High School in 2015.

Send me or any other admin a PM/e-mail if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!
User avatar
freebrickproductions
 
Posts: 3414
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:12 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: What's going on around here?

Postby LARDLOGO » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:14 pm

Sad to see how much the site has gone downhill since Mike's passing.
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
User avatar
LARDLOGO
 
Posts: 581
Joined: Thu May 24, 2012 8:51 pm
Location: Sumas, Washington

Re: What's going on around here?

Postby gedunk » Thu Jan 08, 2015 1:09 am

I made my OP in the hopes of motivating some thoughtful reflection of what Mike wanted this site to be, because most of us found a small group of people who share that same interest Mike had.

In response to my OP I read posts about supposed thefts, hurt feelings, complaints, and such a thinly veiled accusation that *that* OP could reasonably be sued for slander.

Mike was in a unique situation that it allowed him to devote his full-time energies to running a website. I was once in a position to be able to devote a great deal of time to submitting several thousand pics to that website. I found this website by chance, and loved every minute of the good times. Both Mikes and my circumstances changed.

I didn't want Mike to die; I didn't want my wife to die. Know what? THEY DID. Circumstances have changed, and that was beyond all of ours control. But the questions now beg, "Where does it go from here?" Can we accept the new circumstances, adapt?

I wasn't here when what went down went down, but from a lot of the replies I read, I'm glad I wasn't here, and may not be here much longer. There isn't much cohesion among this tiny group of signal fans any longer. Lots of finger pointing though.

For me it comes down to this: Can hurts, jealousies, slights, and general human imperfections be put aside here? Or should the labor of love of one great guy, and the labor of us all to help him make it what it became just be deleted? Can we stay focused on why this site exists at all?

I don't want to see it go, but if it is going to degenerate into childish pissing contests, then maybe the time for it go has already come...
User avatar
gedunk
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:20 pm
Location: Santa Maria Ca

Re: What's going on around here?

Postby TommyBNSF » Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:15 am

I understand what you mean, and I honestly do appreciate the hard work and time and dedication Hickok had for this site (although several months before he died, he was losing interest). I wasn't following too closely on what was happening with Kight and others over thievery and what not, but if he was doing it, shame on him, and if he wasn't, then enough with finger blaming and false accusations. It really is kind of ruining the hobby for many of us. It hasn't stopped me, and I don't plan on it doing so.

I do want the site to continue and does bring up the question, "Where do we go from here?" I agree with what ZachL said, and I think Gillson should allow other people (at least people he would trust) access to the FTP to post web pages to the server and have updates rolling in since because of his busy personal life, it's a big burden for just him to handle. I've been involved with pages for this site on and off for 7 years now, so I think I could handle it, but like Zach said, it's up to Mike to make that decision.
User avatar
TommyBNSF
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Sun Feb 01, 2009 9:38 pm
Location: Morris, IL

Re: What's going on around here?

Postby LMK29 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 6:40 am

freebrickproductions wrote:
LMK29 wrote:Last I heard, Kight was arrested for his illegal and sickening actions with those under 18 years of age. Anyone heard anything different?

Very unlikely considering that he's still on YouTube and uploading videos.
I wonder why he left the other sites though.



Ok, he may be out on bail awaiting trial, but Mike Kight was arrested for what I posted above.

This is not "Slander" When you are arrested for a crime, that is public information.
LMK29
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Wed Jan 07, 2015 6:29 am

Re: What's going on around here?

Postby YoshiDino90 » Thu Jan 08, 2015 8:30 pm

Wait... what's all this about with Kight getting arrested? I never saw such an article. Could someone please show me this?

As for the site updates, I am an active youtube user who uploads videos when I get the chance, but school and Boy Scouts take up most of my time. I don't have a camera though, so taking still pictures won't really work out. I'd love to see the site stay, Freebrick is working really hard to keep the site running and has been subscribed to me for a very long time, so I definitely see his dedication since he has more crossing videos than I do. I hope the site continues to thrive and updates continue.
YoshiDino90
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2013 6:22 am
Location: Central NJ

Re: What's going on around here?

Postby freebrickproductions » Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:53 pm

YoshiDino90 wrote:Wait... what's all this about with Kight getting arrested? I never saw such an article. Could someone please show me this?

As for the site updates, I am an active youtube user who uploads videos when I get the chance, but school and Boy Scouts take up most of my time. I don't have a camera though, so taking still pictures won't really work out. I'd love to see the site stay, Freebrick is working really hard to keep the site running and has been subscribed to me for a very long time, so I definitely see his dedication since he has more crossing videos than I do. I hope the site continues to thrive and updates continue.

Don't worry, more updates are in the works.
I'd take what LMK29 is saying with a grain of salt. If he is who we think he is, then he has had a very bitter relationship with Kight, even before whatever event happened, had happened.
R.I.P. HMCR 8933; 1951-2013. Hasn't been moved since it was put next to Huntsville High School in 2015.

Send me or any other admin a PM/e-mail if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!
User avatar
freebrickproductions
 
Posts: 3414
Joined: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:12 am
Location: Huntsville, AL

Re: What's going on around here?

Postby gedunk » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:21 pm

LMK29 wrote:
freebrickproductions wrote:
LMK29 wrote:Last I heard, Kight was arrested for his illegal and sickening actions with those under 18 years of age. Anyone heard anything different?

Very unlikely considering that he's still on YouTube and uploading videos.
I wonder why he left the other sites though.



Ok, he may be out on bail awaiting trial, but Mike Kight was arrested for what I posted above.

This is not "Slander" When you are arrested for a crime, that is public information.
Last edited by gedunk on Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:16 am, edited 5 times in total.
User avatar
gedunk
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:20 pm
Location: Santa Maria Ca

Re: What's going on around here?

Postby gedunk » Sat Jan 10, 2015 11:29 pm

I don't know what hardships Mike G is dealing with. I didn't know Kight that well.

If slow updating is an issue, then what is the best way of dealing with it? No finger pointing or name-calling allowed. Lets be both realistic AND adult here.

Mike is gone, but his site survives. How can we keep it going that way in this new reality? As signal fans all of us, isn't that what we should be trying to achieve?

All of us?
User avatar
gedunk
 
Posts: 648
Joined: Wed Feb 04, 2009 3:20 pm
Location: Santa Maria Ca

PreviousNext

Return to Website News

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest