Idea for making pages

Want to show off a future update? Show it here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

TommyBNSF

Idea for making pages

Post by TommyBNSF » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:14 pm

Since I see information missing on many pages, I've come up with this idea to help try and have people provide all info possible. Here's a sneak look at a page I just made. What do you guys think?
Attachments
Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 5.11.27 PM.png
Screen Shot 2014-10-06 at 5.11.27 PM.png (150.68 KiB) Viewed 11929 times
cabman701

Re: Idea for making pages

Post by cabman701 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:58 pm

Not bad at all... very clear and concise. I could see that being a lot of work though!
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:34 pm

It definitely would be a lot of work. Especially since the templates would have to be updated. I could really only see this going in on new pages as well because adding this to all of the old ones would require a ton of effort and time (which isn't something Gilson and I have at the moment). Most of the newer pages include a lot of the information in that table idea you presented. The only thing that isn't presented in the current page design is how the bells ring when the crossing activates, but that can be provided in the current set-up if the submitter of the pictures includes it. You also have to take into account that some crossings have three or more signals, such as Holmes Avenue #1 in Huntsville, AL which has four signals.
TL;DR: It's a good idea, but it would require a lot of work and basically just repeats what's given later on in the page for the most part.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
TommyBNSF

Post by TommyBNSF » Tue Oct 07, 2014 8:48 pm

Yes, I realize it's a lot of work and there's more that can be done, but I mostly just wanted your opinions on the concept. I know submitters can include the information down below, but my thinking is that it's a way to try to get people who don't include information to include it (if possible; I realize some crossings are hard to get in action to know the bell cycle), and to keep all the information in one place instead of scattering it all throughout the page. I will try to find a way to include crossings with more than two signals somehow, but again, it's just a starter.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Oct 07, 2014 9:19 pm

TommyBNSF wrote:Yes, I realize it's a lot of work and there's more that can be done, but I mostly just wanted your opinions on the concept. I know submitters can include the information down below, but my thinking is that it's a way to try to get people who don't include information to include it (if possible; I realize some crossings are hard to get in action to know the bell cycle), and to keep all the information in one place instead of scattering it all throughout the page. I will try to find a way to include crossings with more than two signals somehow, but again, it's just a starter.
IMO, it's a good idea, but it isn't very practical in it's current situation.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
mlgillson

Post by mlgillson » Wed Oct 08, 2014 12:06 pm

I like the concept, so I'm going to try this to see how it works. With some adjustments, it should work in most cases. If this is implemented, it'll be limited to new pages initially.
TommyBNSF

Post by TommyBNSF » Wed Oct 08, 2014 3:22 pm

Yeah I wouldn't expect old pages to be updated to this format. Once I return to Illinois in the winter, I'll try to retake a lot of crossings now that I have a DSLR camera, and I'll redo those pages.