To my friend

Michael James Hickok
Sept. 21, 1979—Dec. 10, 2011

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

cabman701

Re: To my friend

Post by cabman701 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 2:56 pm

Wow... don't even know what to say. I have been so busy this last week I didn't have time to come to the forum. Imagine my shock seeing this.

I have been a follower of Mike's website for nearly 10 years and was so happy that I found it. I was starting to think I was the only "weird" one in the world for liking crossing signals... if it wasn't for this site and forum, I would probably still think I was.

Even though I never met Mike face to face, I feel he was a friend and I am very saddened to hear of his passing. He didn't deserve many of the things life threw at him... but I'm sure he is in a better place now. Hopefully that place has trains and railroad crossings as far as the eye can see.

RIP Mike Hickok!
illinoistrains

Post by illinoistrains » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:12 pm

He was way too young to pass. Mike and I never really talked except on the forum and submission emails. I really wish I had got to know him better, but I did get to know him for a few years and it was really nice to be in contact with somebody who lives in the same area as me and likes railroad crossings as much. I will miss him very much.
Visit my website to see my complete collection of over 2,200 train pictures:
http://cnfan1.rrpicturearchives.net/
Crossingman18

Post by Crossingman18 » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:28 pm

I remember following the site as well in the early 2000's. When I turned 18 and I got my first car back in Maine, my only goal was to be a rail photographer. I remember sending Mike my first set of pictures. Back then, I didnt know what to do or how it worked, but as he tought me, my passion for crossing photography spread all over southern Maine. From deep in the woods of Lewiston, to the snowy lands of Saco and Old Orchard. Getting near the end of Maine, I tried and help mike run the site by doing pages and giving him and his computer a break when it began to overheat and he got flooded with submissions. He sent me the software and everything I needed to know how to make pages. I will never forget that.

When Florida came, Me and Mike talked a lot about photography and video games. Mike and I always did Mario Kart Wii and usually he beat the pants off me. I got so mad and I knew it was only a game. When mike started getting ill, I began veering away from the crossing photography and focoused more on rail videotography. I always liked talking to Mike about my adventures and what I usually saw, and always talked about the splendid times in Maine.

When Mike began to not show up much anymore and he posted his retirement from the site, I knew he was becoming very ill and was fearing the loss of a really good friend. When I recieved the word of his passing on Sunday I couldnt believe it. Its as if someone just shot a hole in my chest. Its a huge loss to the railfan world and he dedicated his life to Railroad signals, even when they were set up ways he absolutely hated, he still took the pictures.

Mike will always be remembered for who he was, what he did, and how he performed. I give my blessing to all his family and kin and pray to the lord that Mike is comfortable, happy, and pain free in heaven. God Bless you Mike, and thank you for the incredible journey to where I am today surrounded by many other rail fans!

From your friend,
- Crossingman18 (Alex) (Blackstorm18000)

Rest In Peace Guilford SD26 615!
gedunk

Post by gedunk » Thu Dec 22, 2011 1:44 am

Mike was a wonderful person and a good friend. The world is a poorer place now that he is gone, and I will miss him very much.

My sympathies and prayers are with his family.
bnsflover

Post by bnsflover » Wed Dec 28, 2011 9:02 am

I come back from hiatus to find this horrible surprise. :Sad:

I have been following this site since I was 7, around the time it first started. Loved the fact that he put pictures up of crossings I live near. I watched his site grow and expand. It got more and more amazing. There were ups and downs. It wasn't until January 2011 I decided to join. He was indeed stubborn, but also a nice guy when deserved. He will be missed. Condolences to his family. At least he will be with his grandfather again. :Wink:

Rob :Cry1:
Rob
Certrified BNSF Lover.
BNSF rulez!
legsbluetrain

Post by legsbluetrain » Mon Jan 02, 2012 7:33 pm

I haven't been online lately.I was shocked to hear about his death on FB.Only thing I can say is Mike and I shared the same birthday.
Crossbuck_Chuck

Post by Crossbuck_Chuck » Fri Jan 06, 2012 1:33 am

I've been busy with many things, but I just logged on to see this and it is a true shock. I first found this page about three years ago and I was elated to see so many people loved signaling like I did, especially Mike. SO incredibly sad. My condolences.
Andrewsaxamophone

Post by Andrewsaxamophone » Fri Jan 06, 2012 11:25 am

Holy cow... I remember when I first came across the site. I was so excited to start submitting pictures even though it was the same crossing over and over again. I've always had a passion for crossing signals ever since I was a little kid but Mike definitely brought that interest further along. Though I can't say I know him personally, I was one of the people who stopped e-mailing pictures but still kept posting on the forums, I can say that I am sorry to hear about this. Hope everything is good where you are at Mike.
mdpredmen

Post by mdpredmen » Mon Jan 16, 2012 2:24 pm

I stumbled across this site several years ago. Until that time, I didn't think there were any other people out there that had interests in crossing signals. I thank Mike for creating this awesome website. I didn't really know Mike. I wish I could have gotten to know him better. He seemed like a great guy. Mike will be missed.
Caltrain927

Post by Caltrain927 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 11:59 pm

Sorry I've been meaning to post in this section for a while. I was shocked to get the notification of a PM in my email from Mike's dad about the news. I almost wanted to cry. Me & Mike were very close until about 2009, when I started to shy away from crossing signals & started to get more into trains. I had always been into trains, but when I stumbled across the site in about 2005, it amplified my interest more into crossing signals & I started my YouTube channel dedicated to videos of crossing signals. Its now one of the most popular railfan channels on YouTube. He also helped me in knowledge of computers & helped me pick out the computer I currently have now. I owe Mike a lot & I thank him for many of the things I have & for getting to know him. I will miss him.... RIP