What is your favorite... Gate Mechanism?

Want to know what other people think about signals? Ask here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Favorite Gate Mechanism

WRRS Model 10
17%
WRRS/GRS Type D/B
17%
WCH
No votes
US&S Model 95
6%
Safetran
17%
Griswold/RACO/Safetran EM
22%
WABCO AL-70 (Triangle)
No votes
WABCO Model 75
8%
RACO Hydraulic
8%
Harmon
No votes
Transport Products
6%

Total votes: 36
MD2020

Re: What is your favorite... Gate Mechanism?

Post by MD2020 » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:34 am

Just curious, what do y'all base this "like v/s dislike" on? Looks? What you perceive from the outside? Try to figure out, and work on a ridiculously designed hydraulic gate mechanism, try to adjust a WCH gate mech -and keep it in adjustment afterwards, and have to be aggrivated with their contacts and sticking cover doors, try to keep a long, heavy gate arm from slipping the clutch on a GRS gate mech, or try to keep a gate up without power with a WABCO gate mech, then come back and tell me how much you still love them.

Safetran hands down has the absolute best gate mechanisms in the industry, they perform strong, smoothly and continously under extreme conditions when given even minimal basic care. There really is no comparison.

When you get out there and work with them for a while, then come back and tell me why one is your "favorite" over another.

....Is "Triangle" a gate mechanism??
Just the facts, ma'am.
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Sat Dec 10, 2011 8:54 am

I think we all just got schooled!

But on this one I agree... you can't simply say something is your favorite just by watching it work or looking at it. That would be like saying a certain food is your favorite without ever eating it. :Smile:
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Thu Dec 15, 2011 1:41 am

WHICH MOD JUST RESET THE GODDAMN POLL :Curse1:
Everyone resubmit your vote.
By The Way, ITS GRISWORLD/RECO/SAFETRAN EM.
Also WRRS has the model 10. GRS has the type D and B which has both logos (GRS/WRRS on it)
DON'T EDIT IT AGAIN!!!! I'll do it this time.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:25 pm

Anyone have any pics to compare the WRRS types?
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:37 pm

weatherdan882002 wrote:Anyone have any pics to compare the WRRS types?
Image WRRS Model 10

Image GRS Type B

Image GRS Type D
http://www.rxrsignals.net/Illinois/A-K/Dupo/Davis/9.JPG
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:51 pm

IDK, I just chose the WRRS Model 10. Truth be told, I like any mechanism made by WCH/WRRS/GRS. My biggest pet peeve is when they install gate holders with weight hookups on both sides and they only use one. IMO, it looks stupid, but it looks like it's all they make all these days. I wish they still made this kind (with the weight mount on only one side):

SantaFebuff

Post by SantaFebuff » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:35 pm

Very informative post, Kody. I learned a bit from it. Mind if I ask a couple of comparison questions?

How do these mechanism stack up in terms of differences and preformance?

- Transport Products
- RACO (the non Hydralic ones)
- GRS Model D
- Safetran (early)

They all look very identical to me, but I have no idea how they would preform if hooked up side-by-side as the Safetran and WCH mech are in previous posts. I assume that the older mechanisms would be better, but my suspiciousions still lead me to ask. (if you wouldn't mind explaining)

I'm holding off my vote for now until I feel more educated and happy with what I choose.

I can say that I have US&S Model 95, EM, and Hydralic gate mechanisms off my list.

Cheers,
Joshua
SantaFebuff

Post by SantaFebuff » Fri Mar 23, 2012 7:30 pm

Thanks. In addition, I'd like to point out that the new Invsys by Safetran mechanisms are still S-mechanisms. The two models are the S-40 and the S-60. I've been told the S-40 is the better mechanism. Both use an LED-based system to alter of gate mechanism status and of any failures. I'm not too sure how effective this is, but I'd assume fairly.

Kody,
That's very surprising to hear that those GRS type Ds are actually semaphore motors in an aluminum box. They lower pretty darn good, so I'd say they're good mechanisms... when they want to be.

Now, final question (for now, lol), what is the Harmon gate mechanism? I have never seen a gate mechanism with the Harmon/GE logo slapped on it.

Again, thanks for the informative reply. If I knew the right signal maintainer for the UP, I could get those differences between the RACO and the Safetran gate mechanisms... :Smile:

Cheers,
Joshua
MD2020

Post by MD2020 » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:00 pm

I know the S-60's have the circuit boards and all with the fail-release feature, I haven't seen an S-40 with that.
Just the facts, ma'am.
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:07 pm

MD2020 wrote:I know the S-60's have the circuit boards and all with the fail-release feature, I haven't seen an S-40 with that.
The S-60s are awful gate mechs UP has a few out here, CSX seems to love them, go figure.
I love the Safetran S-40s and WCH 3597 for modern days gate mechs, as far as oldies GRS type D.