Favorite Electronic Bell

Want to know what other people think about signals? Ask here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

What is your favorite Electronic Bell?

WCH whatever
6%
GS Type 1
30%
GS Type 2
8%
Safetran type 1
36%
Safetran type 2
4%
Safetran type 3
6%
US&S
No votes
ASC E bell
11%

Total votes: 53
SirKrunch

Re: Favorite Electronic Bell

Post by SirKrunch » Wed Jun 17, 2009 4:06 pm

I like the ASC bells. They are all over the place around here and very pleasant. Especially in contrast to the nasty friggin' WCH Type 1's that UP seems to insist on using with all the new installs around here.
Well, :Censored:
weatherdan882002

Post by weatherdan882002 » Thu Oct 14, 2010 9:01 pm

The only thing I don't like about the GS Type 1s is that if you some distance away from them, it sounds more like a constant tone rather than something ringing. The GS Type 2 (and knock-offs from other companies) produces a better ringing sound.
ES44AH

Post by ES44AH » Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:01 pm

Safetrans Type I and II have the nicest sound for Safetran. But GS Type I also sound very nice.
SantaFebuff

Post by SantaFebuff » Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:54 pm

My top vote was GS Type 2. I grew up with them, and I don't mind their tone. Here's how the other's stack up in my opinion (reaons on are carrots, good and bad reasons seperated by ":".):

1. GS Type 2 <Enjoyable sound, durable, simple, and looks fine : nothing>
2. Safetran Type 1 <Very neat sound, easy on the eyes : fragile>
3. WCH E-bell (any type) <DURABLE! Neat sound, not annoying, don't look that bad : annoying if modified in speed/tone>
4. ASC <Unusual sound, but alright in that matter : weird looking>
5. Safetran Type 3 <can sound good, well enclosed : can sound bad>
6. GS Type 1 <durable, simple, looks fine : I can't take the sound>
7. US&S <IDK, no opinion>
8. Safetran Type 2 <looks like a GS Type 2, smells like a GS Type 2, sounds like a GS Type 2, : but it isn't>

There you go.

Cheers,
Joshua
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Thu May 24, 2012 10:31 pm

mwp12290 wrote:I think I like the GS Type 1, seems to be somewhat rare nowadays. GS Type 2 is okay, but too common.
Yeah, they are kind of rare, but ALL OVER Seattle. There's only one GS1 around Bellingham and it's at Central Avenue! Anyway Type 1 Safetrans! They kind of sound like how SafeTran used to make their bells!
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Thu May 24, 2012 11:46 pm

LARDLOGO wrote:
mwp12290 wrote:I think I like the GS Type 1, seems to be somewhat rare nowadays. GS Type 2 is okay, but too common.
Yeah, they are kind of rare, but ALL OVER Seattle. There's only one GS1 around Bellingham and it's at Central Avenue! Anyway Type 1 Safetrans! They kind of sound like how SafeTran used to make their bells!
Put up a GS type one recently, there ok. I still like WCH and safetran type 3s better, I hate safetran M-bells.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Fri May 25, 2012 10:52 am

I have a GS Type 1 (broken) from a crossing in Burlington. I can't stand the type 3 safetran bell at all because it sounds really fake and it's ugly! The Safetran M Bells are too loud also.
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Fri May 25, 2012 9:56 pm

LARDLOGO wrote:I have a GS Type 1 (broken) from a crossing in Burlington. I can't stand the type 3 safetran bell at all because it sounds really fake and it's ugly! The Safetran M Bells are too loud also.
Safetran high pitched are nice what I like is they are LOUD, NEG bells are too quiet.
My favorite all around is WCH, made out of aluminum (strong) there volume and rate can be changed.
Also the speaker is open at the bottom so all the sound is directed below as apposed to out the side.
People can bitch all they want about the "tone" not sounding like a bell but I'm still looking for the definition of what a bell needs to sound like.
Bell=audible warning device to alert pedestrians and bicyclists. :TUP2:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
SirKrunch

Post by SirKrunch » Sat May 26, 2012 6:34 am

TrainmanKight wrote:Bell=audible warning device to alert pedestrians and bicyclists. :TUP2:
Going by that definition... would also means the sound of beating frying pans together, someone with explosive diarrhea after eating rancid China Buffet, a cat screeching after stepping on its tail, George Bush Senior saying "Read My Lips", or Tiny Tim singing "Tiptoe Through The Tulips"... when recorded, stuck on a chip, and amplified through a speaker on top of a signal would also qualify as a bell. (Oh yeah, don't forget the automated horn systems. They're audible devices too!)

:Censored:

Well, :Censored:
TheSignalMan2000

Post by TheSignalMan2000 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 3:19 pm

I really like the sound of a GS Type 1 bell, it gives that nice crossing signal sound
ImageImageImage
The crossing photographer of Louisiana, Mississippi, & East Texas

My YouTube account: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSignalman2000/
My Flickr account: https://www.flickr.com/photos/158425094@N07/