Wisconsin wigwags falling rapidly

Talk about signal news here, including upgrades, downgrades, crossings out of service, abandoned, and so on here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

AndyWS

Wisconsin wigwags falling rapidly

Post by AndyWS » Thu Oct 27, 2011 12:05 am

According to various observational reports by local railfans, these are all now gone or about to be gone.

Demoted to passive crossing:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Wisconsin/L-P/Lima_Center/

Replaced by gateless flashing light signals:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Wisconsin/A-K ... arth/Kahl/

Currently in the process of being replaced with gated signals:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Wisconsin/A-K/Dane/Military/

There is/was another set along the same line at Devil's Lake State Park that is about to be or has been replaced with gated signals within the last few days. The only set left along that line with no obvious preparation work for replacement being done are these:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Wisconsin/A-K/Baraboo/Vine/

I would expect them to last less than a year, however.

Replaced with TRACKS OUT OF SERVICE signs like the ones in neighboring Sheboygan Falls:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Wisconsin/A-K ... /Highland/

Demoted to a passive crossing a year or two ago:
http://www.rxrsignals.com/Wisconsin/L-P ... Y/Yahara2/
Last edited by AndyWS on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
illinoistrains

Re: Wisconsin wigwags falling rapidly

Post by illinoistrains » Fri Oct 28, 2011 1:33 pm

Thats just horrible. Maybe people will rally to keep them up like they did in Point Richmond, CA
Visit my website to see my complete collection of over 2,200 train pictures:
http://cnfan1.rrpicturearchives.net/
SirKrunch

Post by SirKrunch » Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:26 pm

AndyWS wrote: Demoted to passive crossing:
http://www.rxrsignals.net/Wisconsin/L-P/Lima_Center/
The ruling by "The Commish".
Reading the ruling and reasoning for having the 'wag removed... The gated crossing in Randall, Iowa and at Roosevelt St. here in Story City are illegal as well. Maybe UP should downgrade them to passive again! Ha!
:Confused:
Well, :Censored:
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Thu Jun 28, 2012 12:45 am

:Roll: I guess the new Commish Roger Breske is the same (or worse) than the old Commish, Rodney Kreunen.

"The OCR has undertaken a program to remove wigwag signals across the state."

What bullshit.
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Fri Jun 29, 2012 5:17 pm

AndyWS wrote::Roll: I guess the new Commish Roger Breske is the same (or worse) than the old Commish, Rodney Kreunen.

"The OCR has undertaken a program to remove wigwag signals across the state."

What bullshit.
Why not add gated signals and keep the wigwags working in tandem? :TUP2:
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
illinoistrains

Post by illinoistrains » Sun Jul 29, 2012 7:42 pm

My computer wont let me read the ruling by the 'commish'. What does it say?
Visit my website to see my complete collection of over 2,200 train pictures:
http://cnfan1.rrpicturearchives.net/
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 6:42 pm

illinoistrains wrote:My computer wont let me read the ruling by the 'commish'. What does it say?
Here you go:
BEFORE THE OFFICE OF THE COMMISSION OF RAILROADS

STATE OF WISCONSIN

On the Commissioner’s Own Motion for a Determination of the Adequacy of Warning Devices at the Grade Crossing of the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Co. Tracks with Lima Center Road in the Town of Lima, Rock County.

9170-RX-256

FINDINGS OF FACT AND ORDER

On April 13, 2010, the Commissioner of Railroads directed the staff of the Office of the Commissioner of Railroads (OCR) to investigate the adequacy of warning devices (wig wag) under § 195.28, Stats., at the grade crossing of the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Co. (WSOR) tracks with Lima Center Road in the Town of Lima, Rock County (Crossing No. 391 613F).

An OCR investigator inspected the crossing in November, 2010. No hearing was held.

Findings of Fact

THE COMMISSIONER FINDS:

Lima Center Road is 20' wide in the vicinity of the crossing and intersects the railroad tracks at an angle of 60°, right-hand forward. Lima Center Road carried an average daily traffic (ADT) of 100 according to DOT records at a posted speed limit of 30 mph.

The Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Co. (WSOR) operates 2 train movements per day over the crossing at a timetable speed of 25 mph. The crossing consists of one mainline track.

A driver traveling at 30 mph needs a distance of 231’ to stop safely. The crossing warning devices are visible from more than 231’ in each direction. The approach sight distance is adequate.

Assuming a train speed of 25 mph, a driver traveling at 30 mph needs to see a train when it is 255’ from the crossing from a point 231’ down the highway. The sight distance available in each quadrant from the safe stopping distance is as follows: 63’ in the northwest quadrant, 186’ in the northeast quadrant, 85’ in the southwest quadrant and 18’ in the southeast quadrant. The corner sight distance is inadequate in all four quadrants.

At all crossings, except those with gates, a driver stopped 15’ short of the near rail must be able to see far enough down the track, in both directions, to determine if sufficient time exists for moving their vehicle safely across the tracks to a point 15’ past the far rail, prior to the arrival of a train. Required clearing sight distance along both directions of the track, from the stopped position of the vehicle, is dependent upon the maximum train speed and the acceleration characteristics of the “design” vehicle. The necessary clearing sight distance at the Lima Center Road crossing is 560’. The available clearing sight distance is adequate.

The exposure factor at this crossing is 200. The exposure factor equals the product of the number of trains per day and the number of highway vehicles per day, which yields a numerical value for the potential conflicts each day at the crossing.

No train-vehicle accidents have occurred at this crossing since 1973.

The crossing is presently protected with crossbucks, highway stop signs and one wigwag. According to the 2009 Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices (MUTCD); Sect. 2B.04 and Sect. 8B.03, Figure 8B-2; active and passive warning devices cannot be used at the same intersection/crossing. For this reason, either the stop signs or the wig wag must be removed from this crossing.

Aside from the wig wag the existing warning devices are adequate given the adequate clearing sight distance, few trains and low train speed.

Wig wags are an obsolete form of crossing warning devices that have not been installed for many years. Parts for this type of signal are no longer manufactured and railroads must use salvaged parts to maintain these signals. The OCR has undertaken a program to remove wigwag signals across the state.

The OCR did not order the installation of the stop signs at this crossing. The stop signs were apparently installed at the direction of the Town of Lima pursuant to its authority under s. 349.085, Stats.

Conclusion on the Issue

THE COMMISSIONER CONCLUDES:

That the crossbucks and highway stop signs adequately protect and promote public safety at the crossing of the tracks of the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Co. with Lima Center Road in the Town of Lima, Rock County.

Conclusion of Law

THE COMMISSIONER CONCLUDES:

That the jurisdiction of the Office of the Commissioner of Railroads under §195.28, Stats., extends to this matter. Accordingly, the Office enters an order consistent with the findings of fact.

Order

THE COMMISSIONER ORDERS:

1. That the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Co. shall remove the wigwag at the crossing of its tracks with Lima Center Road at-grade in the Town of Lima, Rock County by April 30, 2011. (Crossing No. 391 613F).

2. That the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Co. shall maintain crossbucks at the crossing of its tracks with Lima Center Road at-grade in the Town of Lima, Rock County.

3. That the Town of Lima shall maintain the STOP signs at the crossing of Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Co. tracks with Lima Center Road at-grade in the Town of Lima, Rock County.

4. That the Town of Lima shall maintain advance warning signs (sign W10-1) and "stop ahead" signs on each approach.

5. That the Wisconsin & Southern Railroad Co. shall notify the Office of the Commissioner of Railroads upon removal of the signal.

6. That if the petitioner, railroad or any interested party objects to this order and requests a hearing within 20 days of the date of this order in writing, the Office will hold a public hearing.

7. That jurisdiction is retained.

Dated at Madison, Wisconsin, (January 5, 2011),
By the Office of the Commission of Railroads.
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:59 am

Soon to be museum pieces or private collectables (the wigwags, most likely) or spare parts and scrap metal:

The first wigwag came from here.

The four Griswold EM gate signals came from here. This breaks my heart especially since I grew up two blocks from this crossing, and some of my earliest memories of watching trains involve these signals. Ugly, modern gated signals with 12" L.E.D. lights and e-bells are now in their place. :Roll:

The Griswold cantilevers came from here, and the two wigwags in the last picture either came from here or from a crossing in Devil's Lake State Park on the same line which never made it onto the site.

:Censored:
Last edited by AndyWS on Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
MD2020

Post by MD2020 » Sat Aug 25, 2012 3:57 am

SirKrunch wrote:Reading the ruling and reasoning for having the 'wag removed... The gated crossing in Randall, Iowa and at Roosevelt St. here in Story City are illegal as well. Maybe UP should downgrade them to passive again! Ha!
:Confused:
Installing or maintaining Stop signs at an active warning crossing is illegal, the crossing signals would superscede the stop signs.

Wig Wags are obsolete and do not constitute compliant active warning devices for railroad crossings.
Just the facts, ma'am.
SirKrunch

Post by SirKrunch » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:37 pm

AndyWS wrote:...and the two wigwags in the last picture either came from here or from a crossing in Devil's Lake State Park on the same line which never made it onto the site.
I'm going to hazard a guess at the Devil's Lake ones, because the crossbuck on the one appears to be mounted on the mast below the basket, and not above it.
Well, :Censored: