GS "Type 3" E Bell

Talk about crossing signal lights, bells, and gates here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

LARDLOGO

Re: GS "Type 3" E Bell

Post by LARDLOGO » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:17 am

Here's a video taken back in 2013 with what I assume to be the Type 3 E-Bells. To be honest, they sound creepy in this video.
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
Raco_GS

Post by Raco_GS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:38 am

LARDLOGO wrote:Here's a video taken back in 2013 with what I assume to be the Type 3 E-Bells. To be honest, they sound creepy in this video.
Those are just two GS Type 1 bells, one malfunctioning at that.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:16 pm

Definitely Type-1 there. Type-1 electronic bells can be differentiated from Type-2 and Type-3 because of how much more fuzzy they sound compared to their successors.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
Raco_GS

Post by Raco_GS » Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:19 pm

ZachL wrote:Definitely Type-1 there. Type-1 electronic bells can be differentiated from Type-2 and Type-3 because of how much more fuzzy they sound compared to their successors.
I wouldn't say you could tell what type of GS it is by how "fuzzy" they sound, the only way that I could think of one making a "fuzzy" sound is if the volume is turned up all the way up or the speaker is worn out.

Each type of GS has a different characteristic in it's tone. (And in it's design as well, but let's not get into that now)

The early 90s GS has a tone similar to the Type 1 (A tad more raspy) but has the strongest "strike" noise in the tone out of all of them, making it my favorite because it actually sounds closest to an actual mechanical bell.

The Type 1 has the softest tone of them all with probably the weakest strike noise out of all of them at normal volume.
Although, I have actually heard a couple with somewhat stronger strike noises in their tone (Not counting ones that have leftover boards from the early 90s GS bells), probably much like the Type 2, when you turn the volume up, the strike noise gets stronger as well.

The Type 2 brings back the much stronger strike noise to the tone (When the volume is normal, even more so when it's turned up.) and is normally half a step lower in the tone's key when compared to the Type 1's most common tone.

And then we have the current "Type 3", oddly enough it brings back a more softer sounding tone as well as a much weaker strike noise almost exactly like a Type 1, and is almost another half step lower in the tone's key compared to the Type 2's most common tone.
It's a kinda a weird one and it drives me nuts to a certain degree, because like I said, it's ALMOST a half step lower, that means it's in between steps, which means you cannot replicate the tone normally on a piano (without pitch bending), but you can replicate it on a guitar, you just have to bend the string, I guess I pay more attention to this kind of thing since I deal with music stuff constantly.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:58 pm

PaulSP wrote:
ZachL wrote:Definitely Type-1 there. Type-1 electronic bells can be differentiated from Type-2 and Type-3 because of how much more fuzzy they sound compared to their successors.
I wouldn't say you could tell what type of GS it is by how "fuzzy" they sound, the only way that I could think of one making a "fuzzy" sound is if the volume is turned up all the way up or the speaker is worn out.
Hmm, I guess so. I was simply making my comparison to how Type-2 bells sound clearer than Type-1s, but I see what you're saying about how a Type-2 has a stronger "striking" noise.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
Caltrain927

Post by Caltrain927 » Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:51 pm

Found a GS Type 1 & Type 3 combo at Van Allen Rd near Escalon, CA. Unfortunately they replaced a pair of Safetran Type 1's.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:10 pm

Caltrain927 wrote:Unfortunately they replaced a pair of Safetran Type 1's.
Ugh that's a bummer!