Favorite Crossing You've Been To?

Want to know what other people think about signals? Ask here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Favorite Crossing You've Been To?

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Apr 13, 2017 6:47 pm

Not a "traditional" poll (in the sense that it doesn't actually have a poll), and is probably more like a survey (and I'm just putting it here as it seems to fit the best in this section), but I have to wonder, what's y'all's favorite crossing(s) that you've been to?

For me, it'd have to be Quietdale Drive, as it's a rather nice, little, quiet crossing with some rather nice signals at it. Both signals have Safetran 12x24 inch incandescent lights from the 1980s that are in good shape, and the bell is a WCH mechanical bell installed sometime between 2007 and 2012, and not to mention that the crossing is gateless. The only issues I mainly have with it is a lack of parking around the crossing, no good public bathrooms nearby, and the fact that there is pretty much no warning for any westbound trains that are coming until the signals start. Though another crossing I like to go to is Meridian Street, which, while being a slightly more boring set-up (IMO) than Quietdale Drive, is very nice to go to as there's plenty of visibility (along with two block signals) so you can know if a train is coming long before it arrives from either direction, and it also has good parking right near it. The only issue is the same one as Quietdale Drive: no public bathrooms without having to walk a short distance to a nearby Chevron.

So, what's yours?
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
nickrink

Re: Favorite Crossing You've Been To?

Post by nickrink » Fri Apr 14, 2017 9:04 am

Hmm, this one is a hard one. I like all the ones I film at I can't choose one. :ROFL:
LARDLOGO

Post by LARDLOGO » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:08 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
Guess I should've specified a limit (like up to three) or something like that. :LOL4: Love those EM signals and the ones with the very faded lights though!
Unfortunately, all of the EM gates are gone. They were replaced with either Invensys or Siemens gate mechanisms since StreetView went through. As for the faded lights, they're still there.
Railfanning since December 28, 2009!
SirKrunch

Post by SirKrunch » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:25 am

For me, it would be the Story Street crossing in Boone, Iowa. Boone is a rail heritage town to begin with, especially the deep ties the town had with the Chicago & Northwestern. Story street is an awesome spot though, as the town has park benches located in various quadrants of the crossing where you can sit and wait while trains pass. Occasionally, since this is the first crossing to the west of the yard (and also right next to the UP office) you may have an extended wait due to yard switching, backups waiting to enter the yard, or crew changes.

SE QUAD
NW QUAD
City maintained park by the old Depot. Nice spot to bring a picnic chair, sack lunch, and six pack of beer.
UPRR Office

And of course, a block North of there is the Boone & Scenic Valley RR (ex CNW, ex FDDM&S) which during the summer you'll be treated to occasional movement of the electric trolley. If you're really lucky though, you may catch a revenue movement over the line. The B&SV does have a couple freight customers out on the far East end of the line and will do car storage now and then for some extra money.
Well, :Censored:
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Sat Apr 15, 2017 5:57 pm

I think my favorite crossing I've been to has to be Palmer Street in Plant City, mainly because of these:
https://www.google.com/maps/@28.0154562 ... 312!8i6656

Yep, 12x20" WABCO lights! They're pretty rare around here, actually.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Apr 15, 2017 11:33 pm

ZachL wrote:I think my favorite crossing I've been to has to be Palmer Street in Plant City, mainly because of these:

Not to mention the US&S mechanical bell! It's also nicely paired with a GS Type 1.
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Sun Apr 16, 2017 12:09 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
ZachL wrote:I think my favorite crossing I've been to has to be Palmer Street in Plant City, mainly because of these:

Not to mention the US&S mechanical bell! It's also nicely paired with a GS Type 1.
All the other crossings through downtown Plant City also had 12x20 WABCO lights just like this one, but sadly those all got replaced between 2011 and 2013. I wanna say another crossing (it's on the site here) still has a US&S mechanical bell, though!
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538