When did WRRS stop making their Mechanical Bell?

Talk about crossing signal companies here. International companies are okay too.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

nickrink

When did WRRS stop making their Mechanical Bell?

Post by nickrink » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:02 am

I just wanted to know when WRRS stopped making their Mechanical Bell. :Grin:
NathanFromEngland

Re: When did WRRS stop making their Mechanical Bell?

Post by NathanFromEngland » Tue Dec 26, 2017 12:42 pm

Not sure, i'm probably thinking the 1990's or something, when Safetran and WCH started to take off. I'm probably thinking that WCH must've bought out WRRS or something.
nickrink

Post by nickrink » Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:20 pm

NathanFromEngland wrote:Not sure, i'm probably thinking the 1990's or something, when Safetran and WCH started to take off. I'm probably thinking that WCH must've bought out WRRS or something.
Okay, thanks! :Grin:
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Dec 26, 2017 9:36 pm

It was in 1969 when Federal Signal took over WRRS and renamed them "Western Cullen Division". In 1977, Federal Signal sold off the Western Cullen Division and the company became Western Cullen Hayes.

However, one could make the argument that they technically have never stopped, just rebranded. The WCH 0333 mechanical bell is pretty much a WRRS 0222 mechanical bell, just with a few updates over the years. :cool:
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ZachL

Post by ZachL » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:01 pm

A few updates including a change in the base as well.

The gongs sound slightly different, too.
Crossing pictures from Plant City, FL are finally here! viewtopic.php?f=13&t=2538
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:28 pm

ZachL wrote:A few updates including a change in the base as well.

The gongs sound slightly different, too.
Yea, it seems that all three different companies cast their gongs differently, with the two longer-lasting ones changing how they cast their gongs at least once (WRRS had two or three different gong variations, IIRC, and WCH has changed theirs about as much from my observations).

McK&H.Aust

Post by McK&H.Aust » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:35 pm

Noticed a recent change to the catalog on the WCH site. According to this updated file titled "Bells - Full Line" http://www.wch.com/pdf/catalog/bells.pdf they have stopped making Gooseneck Brackets and some other bell mounting accessories, seen on page 12. Strangely, they are still shown as being available in the separate file titled "Bell Mounting Accessories", although I suspect they haven't got around to updating it http://www.wch.com/pdf/catalog/bellmnt.pdf

The Gooseneck Brackets look basically the same as the ones previously made by WRRS, maybe the demand wasn't there any more. I guess the current model 0333 m-bell with it's double mount would have eliminated the need for some of the other deleted fittings.
Caltrain927

Post by Caltrain927 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:30 pm

Even after the FS takeover, WRRS cast 0222 bells were still being made. This is evident with my 0222 having WRRS markings but FS builder's sheet inside. I want to say the 0333 didn't start production until a few years into the FS years. The redesign included new door latch, different style rainshield, and revised internals. Gongs seemed to vary on these quite a bit as I have found a WRRS/FS 0222 with aluminum gongs to the early WCH 0333's having cast iron gongs.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Jul 05, 2018 11:40 pm

Caltrain927 wrote:Even after the FS takeover, WRRS cast 0222 bells were still being made. This is evident with my 0222 having WRRS markings but FS builder's sheet inside. I want to say the 0333 didn't start production until a few years into the FS years. The redesign included new door latch, different style rainshield, and revised internals. Gongs seemed to vary on these quite a bit as I have found a WRRS/FS 0222 with aluminum gongs to the early WCH 0333's having cast iron gongs.
True, but at that point, they were technically Federal Signal bells. :Wink: I believe I've found the oldest surviving Federal Signal install as well on the CSX Dothan Sub last Sunday. This crossing has all WRRS-branded equipment at it, except for the backsides of the bases, which feature Federal Signal branding:
https://www.google.com/maps/@31.370758, ... 328!8i1664