Albany Road (GA 97/GA 309), Bainbridge, GA

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Albany Road (GA 97/GA 309), Bainbridge, GA

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Sep 05, 2019 2:36 am

*originally recorded on 7-31-19*

Signal on the left: 3 pairs of WCH 12x24 inch lights with Leotek EV Series LEDs, a Safetran gate mechanism, and NEG LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 1.5 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, 1 Safetran 12x24 inch light with a Dialight Ball LED, a WRRS mechanical bell, a Safetran gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

On July 31st, I went back out to Georgia to try and chase A724 again. However, the first train I wound-up catching was the Bainbridge Local heading east with a GP40-2 and GP38-2 for power.

This crossing is a pretty nice one, IMHO, even with how modernized it is. Back in 2008, the crossing was still a mostly original SCL install (it appears), complete with cats-eyed signage on the closer signal (though the far signal used newer signage and a newer base). However, between 2008 and 2013, the far signal was replaced entirely with an (at the time) modern CSX signal and the closer signal had the gate mech and lights replaced with re-used 1990s equipment. Then, between 2013 and 2018, the far signal was replaced again (likely due to being knocked-down, possibly again) with an even newer signal, though possibly with a re-used gate mech, while the closer signal had its cats-eyed signage replaced (sadly). Finally, between 2018 and 2019, someone clipped the closer signal and CSX replaced the left-rear light (the one that's sticking out closest to the road) with the current light-head.
Amazingly enough, even with all of these various upgrades, the original WRRS mechanical bell here has managed to survive, and still sounds quite healthy! Even with the various modernizations here, I do think this crossing looks quite nice, especially the right-hand signal, even if none of the equipment is original.
Also, as you can see, the gate mech on the far signal takes a while to begin to raise, as it doesn't start raising until the closer signal is almost all the way up!
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.