Sharon Boulevard, Dora, AL

Post videos from railroad crossings here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Sharon Boulevard, Dora, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Tue Nov 17, 2020 3:42 pm

*originally recorded on 11-13-20*

Signal on the left: 1.5 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights, 1 Safetran 12x20 inch light, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a US&S Model 95 gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x20 inch lights, a US&S Model 95 gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

After seeing H-BIRMEM leaving the BNSF East Thomas Yard in Birmingham, I chased it on up to this crossing in Dora, where we get to see it in much better light.

This crossing is another nice one, featuring what appears to be a pair of old Frisco-era signals, with the one on the left being from WABCO and the one on the right appearing to be a 70s Safetran signal. Not entirely sure which one's newer, but I'm going to guess it's the right-hand one.
The signals were probably mostly unchanged up until the early 2000s, when BNSF upgraded all of the equipment on both signals: each signal got newer Safetran 12 inch lights (far side was all 12x24s, near side is all 12x20s), US&S Model 95 gate mechanisms, and the bell was replaced with a General Signals e-bell. The next change came sometime between 2008 and 2014, when the far signal was moved onto a new foundation much closer to the tracks. The crossing remained relatively unchanged for several years after, but sometime recently, BNSF came through and made some changes to the far signal: its WABCO base replaced with a Safetran one, one of the lights had a 20 inch background installed on it, and the bell was replaced with a used-General Signals Type 2 e-bell.
Either way though, this is still a pretty nice crossing (IMHO), so I'm glad I recorded it.

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/A-F/Dora/Sharon/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
freebrickproductions

Re: Sharon Boulevard, Dora, AL

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat May 15, 2021 12:20 am

*originally recorded on 3-29-21*

Signal on the left: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs, a General Signals Type 2 electronic bell, a US&S Model 95 gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.
Signal on the right: 2 pairs of Safetran 12x24 inch lights with Dialight Ball LEDs, a General Signals Type 3 electronic bell, a US&S Model 95 gate mechanism, and RECO LED gate lights.

This was the fourth crossing I chased this train to, only just barely beating it here. As you can see, it's had quite the noticeable overhaul since I last recorded it, with both signals appearing to have been remounted onto new foundations. They were also given a full LED upgrade, featuring a new set of Safetran 12x24 inch light-heads, and the closer signal was also given a new General Signals Type 3 electronic bell. Either way, it's still a pretty decent little crossing, if just for the US&S Model 95s that it retains (which I can't really say have been used all that much here in Alabama).

http://www.rxrsignals.com/Alabama/A-F/Dora/Sharon/
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.