Different ways to mark a crossing out of service

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

AndyWS

Different ways to mark a crossing out of service

Post by AndyWS » Thu Jan 19, 2023 5:57 pm

One thing that I've noticed from personal observation and from others' photos, there doesn't seem to be any standard way to sign/otherwise indicate the situation to crossing users when a rail line goes dormant or is abandoned, but the tracks are left in place for years or even decades. Each state/municipal jurisdiction and/or railroad company seems to have a different way of doing it.

One of the most bizarre I've seen was posted in the recent update by freebrickproductions, in Preston, Georgia.

Some other ways I've seen are:

1.) Remove the signals, but leave the (may or may not be paved over) tracks.

2.) Leave the tracks everywhere else, but remove the rails from the crossings, pave over the grade, and remove the signals.

3.) Leave the signals, but turn and/or bag the lights and remove the gates, if present. This was done for example at WIS-28 in Mayville, WI when it and all crossings north of it were physically disconnected from the remaining active portion of that branch line. The mast lights were bagged and the cantilever arms turned 90 degrees to no longer hang over the road. The tracks were also removed from the road and the grade paved over. This was done for the relatively short interval before the signals were removed entirely.

Another example is this crossing in Farmington, IL on an ex-C&NW/UP line, until those tracks and signals were removed. The same thing was also done further east on that same line at Trivoli, IL per a photo on Abandonedrails, and actually all the way east to the junction with another line in Peoria.

4.) Leave the signals, and install "TRACKS OUT OF SERVICE" or (in the past, I don't think they are used anymore) "ABANDONED" signs below (or in some cases, bolted over the top of) the crossbucks.

5.) Do as above but install "EXEMPT" signs instead. This allows buses and other vehicles (such as trucks carrying hazardous materials) that would normally have to stop and look at the crossing, to be "exempt" from doing so. However this is somewhat ambiguous because the rail line being unused or abandoned is not the only reason (at least per Wisconsin law) that a crossing can be "exempted." The crossing being located close to an intersection where the stopping vehicles would create a significant obstruction to the flow of traffic is another. However, it is common for "EXEMPT" crossings to mostly be on lines with light/slow train traffic. I've never seen one on a busy Class I mainline, for example, but I have seen them at at least one crossing that gets about 6-8 train moves per day.

6.) Remove the signals, but in their place install "TRACKS OUT OF SERVICE" signs on new posts/masts. For example, this was done at WIS-57 in Milwaukee and other crossings on the old Milwaukee Road Beer Line. Note this was done when the tracks were removed everywhere BUT at the crossings. In fact, Google Street view shows that the rails still remained in the road here as of last fall, although the signs had disappeared by 2016!

Another example is the two Webster Avenue crossings in Green Bay that were located on the industrial lead to the Proctor & Gamble East River Mill that came off the old Green Bay & Western line, when it was finally disconnected from the main and formally taken out of service after who knows how many years of not being used.

7.) Do nothing at all and let the signals slowly fall apart over the years, due to weather, vehicle impacts, and sticky-fingered metal scrappers/souvenir-hunting "railfans." This was done on UP's ex-C&NW Capitol Drive industrial lead in Milwaukee, at Hampton Avenue and Lydell Avenue. The last train I believe was in 2003. Buses and other vehicles presumably were still required to stop and check down the rusty, weed-choked, obviously unused tracks. The signals were finally removed by September, 2011, and the tracks by 2015 as the Oak Leaf Trail was being built along the ROW.

Have any of you observed any other methods of indicating an out-of-service crossing to road users?
freebrickproductions

Re: Different ways to mark a crossing out of service

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:22 pm

Here in Alabama, the most popular way seems to be to rip out the signals/crossbucks when the line's being ripped out as well.
Seems in other parts of the southeast, they either rip-out the signals as well and/or leave them to rot.

Want to say I've seen on at least a few crossings, believe mostly out west in CA & Washington, where the crossbucks will be replaced by "Tracks Out of Service" signs and the gates usually removed, but the crossings left alone to rot otherwise. Want to say I've seen at least one or two examples of crossings where the crossbucks were still in place, but the TOoS signs were mounted right on top of them?
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
AndyWS

Post by AndyWS » Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:33 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:22 pm
Here in Alabama, the most popular way seems to be to rip out the signals/crossbucks when the line's being ripped out as well.
Seems in other parts of the southeast, they either rip-out the signals as well and/or leave them to rot.

Want to say I've seen on at least a few crossings, believe mostly out west in CA & Washington, where the crossbucks will be replaced by "Tracks Out of Service" signs and the gates usually removed, but the crossings left alone to rot otherwise. Want to say I've seen at least one or two examples of crossings where the crossbucks were still in place, but the TOoS signs were mounted right on top of them?
Sounds right.
SirKrunch

Post by SirKrunch » Sun Jan 14, 2024 6:19 pm

Iowa does not use the "Tracks out of Service' signs. Either exempt signs are posted (Iowa code says that a portion of rail must be removed on both sides of the crossing to be eligible to post the crossing as exempt), the crossing is left to fall apart - whether or not it is paved over, or the signs are removed.

Here's a UP line in the North part of the state that is currently out of service, however some of the county agencies haven't waited for UP to announce abandonment, they're just paving over crossings.
Armstrong, IA. Tracks not paved over, ROW definitely impassible from tree growth. Relay case light is still on and receiving power.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3936603 ... ?entry=ttu
County Rd A13 East of Armstrong. Not the best view, but the tracks are covered. Crossbucks still stand as usual.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3885632 ... ?entry=ttu
County Rd P16 East of Armstrong. Tracks simply paved over. One crossbuck and yield sign still stand though.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3853627 ... ?entry=ttu
County Rd P30, Swea City, IA. Tracks paved over. Signals beginning to fall apart, although crossubucks look relatively new. Relay case light on, still receiving power.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3853627 ... ?entry=ttu
County Rd P40, East of Swea City. Tracks paved over. Remaining sign knocked down and left on ROW. Advanced warning sign still up for SB traffic.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3853267 ... ?entry=ttu
State Route 9. Relay case does not appear to have power but tough to tell. The line goes into service a couple miles from this point to serve an ethanol plant.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.385152, ... ?entry=ttu
Red board
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.3855347 ... ?entry=ttu
Meanwhile, there are these glaring examples of dead crossings as well that are marked as exempt.
Allendorf, IA. The Iowa Northwestern ripped rail years ago already. For some reason this one crossing remains yet.
https://www.google.com/maps/@43.413123, ... ?entry=ttu
Wolf, IA. Former Fort Dodge, DM and Southern line that the CNW killed in the early 80s and taken over by the Boone & Scenic Valley railroad. BSV operates to short of this crossing, although you'll notice from the overhead satellite view that the rail still continues west through the farm property and eventually ending in a thicket of trees and a barely visible bridge. Not sure why they don't scrap the rail that's there yet and just let it sit dormant to this day. https://www.google.com/maps/@42.1351518 ... ?entry=ttu
Well, :Censored: