signals in the media

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

freebrickproductions

Re: signals in the media

Post by freebrickproductions » Sun Mar 17, 2019 12:35 pm

Could've sworn I had posted this, but now can't seem to find the post. Weird.
But anyways, the latest ad for the Chevy Silverado has a couple of WCH mechanical bells that can be heard towards the beginning, taken from a stock recording, it sounds like:
They/Them for me, please.

Click here if you want to submit crossing photos to the site!

Avatar by runesprite on Twitter.
ColeD

Post by ColeD » Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:33 pm

The new Subaru Forester ad has crossing lights and then a cantilever starting at :36 seconds. Also at about :46 seconds you can see some train signals further away under the bridge.

freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Thu Sep 05, 2019 11:46 pm

Drive Safe Alabama has this TV advert which features a pair of old A&WP cantilevers on the Meridian & Bigbee Railroad, and a GS Type 2 playing over them:

It appears that the crossing in the advert is this one in Burkville, AL, based on the DOT number shown in the video:
https://www.google.com/maps/@32.328836, ... 312!8i6656

Interestingly enough, while the clips at the crossing are of the Meridian & Bigbee Railroad, the close-ups of the train "approaching the crossing" appear to have been recorded on the Calera & Shelby, which the is line that the Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum runs excursions on.

Nascar Fan007

Post by Nascar Fan007 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:54 am

Sorry for the bump. But I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this crossing before on this topic.

the crossing can be seen at the end of The Fast and the Furious where Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) races Brian O' Conner ( Paul Walker) race at the end.

The crossing itself has had a few changes since 2001 as one of the mechanical bells has been replaced with a wch e bell along with the lights being upgraded to leds.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Termi ... 18.2649429

note the wch clear leds on one of the signals at this crossing.
Proud owner of a safetran mechanical bell and Griswold mechanical bell along with a pair of safetran 12x20 lights and a 8 inch light. Been a fan of trains since I was little. Main place I railfan on, The Sedalia Sub.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:22 pm

Nascar Fan007 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:54 am
Sorry for the bump. But I'm not sure if anyone has posted about this crossing before on this topic.

the crossing can be seen at the end of The Fast and the Furious where Dominic Toretto (Vin Diesel) races Brian O' Conner ( Paul Walker) race at the end.

The crossing itself has had a few changes since 2001 as one of the mechanical bells has been replaced with a wch e bell along with the lights being upgraded to leds.

One of the signals was replaced entirely (the one with the e-bell and WCH Clear LEDs). Also, the rest of the lights appear to still be incandescent.

Nascar Fan007

Post by Nascar Fan007 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 3:16 pm

freebrickproductions wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 12:22 pm
Nascar Fan007 wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:54 am

One of the signals was replaced entirely (the one with the e-bell and WCH Clear LEDs). Also, the rest of the lights appear to still be incandescent.
Rest of the lights are still incandescent. My apologies. It's certainly odd to have only one signal with led lights while the rest of the crossing still has incandescent lights.
Proud owner of a safetran mechanical bell and Griswold mechanical bell along with a pair of safetran 12x20 lights and a 8 inch light. Been a fan of trains since I was little. Main place I railfan on, The Sedalia Sub.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:45 pm

In 1985, there was a pretty-poorly received (and I think largely forgotten) comedy movie called Moving Violations. At one point in the movie, there is a scene that takes place at a railroad crossing somewhere in California (based on the traffic lights) that features wooden wishbone gates, 12x20 inch lights, lantern gate lights, and two mechanical bells. It can be seen starting at about 3:14 in this video:

Also, is it just me, or towards the end of the scene, does it appear that the signal has two mechanical bells on it?

NathanFromEngland

Post by NathanFromEngland » Tue Oct 22, 2019 12:33 am

freebrickproductions wrote:
Mon Oct 21, 2019 11:45 pm
In 1985, there was a pretty-poorly received (and I think largely forgotten) comedy movie called Moving Violations. At one point in the movie, there is a scene that takes place at a railroad crossing somewhere in California (based on the traffic lights) that features wooden wishbone gates, 12x20 inch lights, lantern gate lights, and two mechanical bells. It can be seen starting at about 3:14 in this video:

Also, is it just me, or towards the end of the scene, does it appear that the signal has two mechanical bells on it?
I'm not surprised by the fact that the film was made up by the director going to traffic school, plus they chose to make the film from their own perspective, even though they interviewed people for ideas.

As for it's poor reception, it's no surprise that the writers are the same people that did Police Academy, either.
Doge_Illinois

Post by Doge_Illinois » Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:24 am

[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8OX-0nr1mI] In Cars 1, at 3:07, There is a Wig-Wag crossing.
freebrickproductions

Post by freebrickproductions » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:06 pm

Doge_Illinois wrote:
Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:24 am
[https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8OX-0nr1mI] In Cars 1, at 3:07, There is a Wig-Wag crossing.
You might want to make sure you're using the embed code right.