signals in the media

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

bnsfc44

Re: signals in the media

Post by bnsfc44 » Sat Sep 17, 2011 12:13 am

The season finale of ABC's "Wipeout" (9/15/11) had a course that featured a "Love Train". On both sides of the obstacle course had two railroad crossing signals.
SirKrunch

Post by SirKrunch » Sat Mar 10, 2012 3:47 pm

Found this simply out of blind luck, doing a random search about the Dukes of Hazzard:
http://www.thedukesofhazzard.nl/georgia ... ssing.html

Well, :Censored:
ConductorWho

Post by ConductorWho » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:28 pm

Okay guys...
My appologies in advance for exposing this forum to the whole MLP thing that's spreading around the 'net like wildfire, but...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXiazS1d7-g
Skip to 6:31. Most ridiculous grade crossing EVER!

Long story short, a few of my friends are "Bronies" so this inevitably ended up in my Youtube Digest, and I decided to take a look. Of course, the sequence in question happened to catch my eye, and as I'm still a bit of a crossings rookie I still can't pick apart some of the nuances.

Now, those do appear to be bi-directional flashers on a single mount (I don't think those are Griswold XB or XD lights either), lack visors, and there is an obvious lack of a gate mechanism or a bell, so it's definately not a prototype setup. And lastly--those appear to be modern fiberglass barriers with NO light units, yet the clearly splinter like wood barriers, and also the barrier and counterweight appear to be a single piece.

That being said, supposing this crossing was at least somewhat "prototypical", what kind of specifications (i.e. bell, flashers, mechanism, etc.) would it have?

EDIT: scroll to the comments section. Left a "skip to 6:31" comment for you guys.
ConductorWho

Post by ConductorWho » Thu Nov 08, 2012 10:22 pm

PaulSP wrote:Well this is something I'd hope to never see on the forum, words can not describe how much I hate "Bronies" but I wont get into that.

In other words, do us all a favor don't post anymore of that "MLP" stuff on here, the last thing I'd want to see is THAT stuff on here.
Well, sorry to hear that.
If anything, think of it as an oppurtunity to rivet-count the series for its obvious ignorance towards the finer aspects of our hobby. Of course if you're all for absolute fuming and passing this oppurtunity at nitpicking up I'll respect that as well.

And besides, all I'm asking for is an honest, technical opinion, not complete and utter assimilation into their unorthodox fandom like some railfans out there advocate. -_-
ConductorWho

Post by ConductorWho » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:30 pm

PaulSP wrote: Think what you want, I find a bit pointless to rivet-count a series made for little girls.
IMHO the best "rivet-counters" can go above and beyond demographic stigmas. Just saying. Regardless of whether it's "targeted" for someone old or young, male or female, in this nation or one on the other side of the ocean...if I see something that's "just train wrong" I'll charge in and start counting rivets. No exceptions.

But since you wish to exclude said crossing from your perview, I'll throw another one your way. This one's a real "piece of work" though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28G56i2mJbc

BTW, if you wonder where it's from, it's CP_Well from Team Fortress 2, which is a better FPS than CoD or Halo if my experience serves correct.
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:00 am

ConductorWho wrote:
PaulSP wrote: Think what you want, I find a bit pointless to rivet-count a series made for little girls.
IMHO the best "rivet-counters" can go above and beyond demographic stigmas. Just saying. Regardless of whether it's "targeted" for someone old or young, male or female, in this nation or one on the other side of the ocean...if I see something that's "just train wrong" I'll charge in and start counting rivets. No exceptions.

But since you wish to exclude said crossing from your perview, I'll throw another one your way. This one's a real "piece of work" though...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28G56i2mJbc

BTW, if you wonder where it's from, it's CP_Well from Team Fortress 2, which is a better FPS than CoD or Halo if my experience serves correct.
That's a dwarf signal, not a crossing signal and for the love of god keep bronie shit off this forum.
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
ConductorWho

Post by ConductorWho » Fri Nov 09, 2012 11:00 am

1. I'm more-so interested in the m-bell recording. Sounds like a WCH bell but I'm not too sure.

2. And furthermore, my appologies for having dated a girl who exposed me to the aforementioned equine drivel. I personally prefer not to mention ex-girlfriends on the forums, but in this case I'll digress. And I can see where you're coming from, Paul, 'cos I'd start fuming at anyone who would mention "yaoi" or "thiefshipping" (what I pretty much think ruined the whole relationship with said girl) if I was a moderater.

3. That being said, any media I should refrain from posting in this thread? I'm assuming I should avoid linking to any anime and fur as well, judging by your vehement reaction to one nihilarian little internet subculture.
cabman701

Post by cabman701 » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:12 pm

Ummmm.... OK then. :Blink:

Moving on...
TrainmanKight
Site Admin

Post by TrainmanKight » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:56 pm

cabman701 wrote:Ummmm.... OK then. :Blink:

Moving on...
YES PLEASE. :Clap:
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. Ben Franklin
People who need a foot up their Ass affect the lives of many. There is still no cure for someone who needs a foot up their Ass, except a foot up their Ass
I speak my mind, if you don't like that oh well. I'll have you fill out a hurt feelings report and submit that to my office.
Be Sure To See My YouTube Account http://www.youtube.com/user/TrainmanKight
ConductorWho

Post by ConductorWho » Sat Nov 10, 2012 12:35 am

Agreed.

Thought I had something, but Rhapsody's "Power of the Dragonflame" music video is a complete wash crossing-wise. Same with Aerosmith's "Livin' on the Edge". :aaargh: