Australian Railroad Crossing Signals

Talk about signals ranging from wigwags to EVA signals here.

Moderators: freebrickproductions, mlgillson, TommyBNSF, Raco_GS

Applehead137

Re: Australian Railroad Crossing Signals

Post by Applehead137 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:05 am

Tbarn31 wrote:
Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:03 am
DSC_0037.jpg
Would need to see a back view of the bell. Because it’s a 1st gen, it may have a build number of the back. The earlier 1st gens had that and you could use that to try tell where it came from although honestly there were so many 1st gens out there that weren’t documented and you can’t see the number on making it pretty hard to find where your bell came from.
Tbarn31

Post by Tbarn31 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 2:47 am

Hi applehead i do watch a few of your videos on YouTube
Ok i have just emailed VR to see if he can tell me what is the go with the back of it to see if he knows if it had a number on it and what number if he remembers either way i should get the bell in the post by the end of the week so will update you all if i hear back he did say he believes they came from around seaford on the Frankston line do you know if seaford rd or Armstrong rd in seaford had 1st generation bells as i can't find any vids or pictures of when Westinghouse hybrid bell were in operation there would love to know as it might have come from one of them 2 crossing if they had 1st generation bells
Tbarn31

Post by Tbarn31 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:41 pm

Good afternoon everyone i got my Westinghouse hybrid bell 1st generation in the post today and i believe it is bell 54th anyone know where it might have come from? Thanks all appreciate all your halp
Tbarn31

Post by Tbarn31 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:54 am

Applehead137 wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:26 pm
So I recently noticed something after doing some research on first generation Westinghouse Hybrid bells . I noticed on the back some of them have a yellow marking engraved into the bell which has the number of the bell. These numbers r different to the numbers on the gong btw which some bells do have . The number on the back is actually the in the order of the bell built . Number 06 would have been the 6th hybrid bell ever built while number 039 was the 39th ever built.

Here are the ones that I’ve been able to find

06 Old Geelong rd Hoppers Crossing
015 Cherry Street Werribee
018 Private Collection , TheRailRanger
019 Oakover Road , Preston
029 Brunt Road Beaconsfield Officer
039 Mill Road Hamilton

07 was at Bryan Street Swan Hill
013 used to be at Glenferrie rd Kooyong but was replaced with a different hybrid bell a couple years ago
024 was at Camp Rd Campbellfield but crossing got removed .

I wonder what other crossings there are that had hybrid bell numbers . Also not all 1st generation hybrids have numbers on them .The ones at Allendale Rd diamond creek , Arden Street North Melbourne , Webster street Dandenong are unmarked .
Ardan st in north Melbourne the 1st generation was number 54 as i now own this 1st generation from ardan st👍
Tbarn31

Post by Tbarn31 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:45 am

Where is everyone not much actively in this forum thought there would be people posting and chatting lol let have a discussion how many Westinghouse hybrid bells are left on the metro network and how many do you all think will be removed next year and what leval crossings will have them removed and upgraded love to hear what ones you think will be removed next :TUP1:
SBMetro

Post by SBMetro » Wed Dec 16, 2020 4:44 pm

Tbarn31 wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 6:45 am
Where is everyone not much actively in this forum thought there would be people posting and chatting lol let have a discussion how many Westinghouse hybrid bells are left on the metro network and how many do you all think will be removed next year and what leval crossings will have them removed and upgraded love to hear what ones you think will be removed next :TUP1:
There are 17 crossings with hybrid bells on the metro network. Also it hasn't been very active for a while now. Most of the time posts are just when something interesting is discovered or when there has been an upgrade or an update on a crossing. :Smile:
Tbarn31

Post by Tbarn31 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:10 pm

Hi SBmetro
Ok thanks for that only 17 left wow that will be under 10 by the end of next year i would think it crazy as 10 years ago there were so many crossings with them still it just sad to see them go :Cry1: we are only talking probably 2 to 3 years before there is no more Westinghouse hybrid bells on the metropolitan network it just going to be interesting when crossing will be the last to have them removed
Applehead137

Post by Applehead137 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 4:07 am

-
Last edited by Applehead137 on Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tbarn31

Post by Tbarn31 » Fri Dec 18, 2020 4:23 am

Hi all does anyone know when Westinghouse stopped making the 1st generation hybrid bells and started making 2nd gen with what i can find on the internet it was in the 90s can anyone confirm that it was the 90s as i don't trust everything i see on the internet thanks all
TheRailRanger

Post by TheRailRanger » Sun Dec 20, 2020 3:23 am

Hello
So I went BACK up to Castlemaine, Campbells Creek and Newstead to do the final documentation of the remains of Fryers Rd, Moscript St, Creswick-Newstead Rd and Pyrenees Hwy level crossings. Fryers Rd and Moscript St are the same, with all the tracks ripped up and every piece of signalling equipment removed. There is nothing interesting here anymore. However, the two crossings in Newstead still have the tracks on either side, as well as the relay cases. All the cases are still locked with padlocks. Also, with further info on the upgrade of Bendigo-Maldon Rd, I found 2 Safetran Boom Gate mechs and 2 relay cases, at the Maldon Railway Station yards. These will most likely be installed early 2021.
Anyways that's it from me for today